Old 15-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Merrill Speeter

Default Wonderlights

Have seen little about the effectiveness of the Wonderlights with
orchids. Have also seen claim they are short-lived. Anyone have
success with such bulbs? Do they we require a special socket or can a
standard bulb socket work? Have a 4x4 area with phals that needs more
lumens! Metal halide I am afraid would heat my small apartment.
Old 17-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Rob Halgren

Merrill Speeter wrote:

Have seen little about the effectiveness of the Wonderlights with
orchids. Have also seen claim they are short-lived. Anyone have
success with such bulbs? Do they we require a special socket or can a
standard bulb socket work? Have a 4x4 area with phals that needs more
lumens! Metal halide I am afraid would heat my small apartment.

Merrill,

MH light would give you less total heat than the equivalent number of
fluorescent fixtures. For supplemental light you could get a 250 or
200W MH light. Sure it gives off a little heat, but if I could figure
out a way to make light without heat, I'd be famous (and no doubt
imprisoned for fraud). MH lights aren't really that effective at space
heating.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 17-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Steve

Rob Halgren wrote:
.................if I could figure
out a way to make light without heat, I'd be famous (and no doubt
imprisoned for fraud).............................

Hummmm... I wonder it LEDs come in wavelengths that would bloom orchids?

Steve In NY but way north of the big storm.