Old 30-03-2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Potting Demonstration

Nancy: Having done WAY too many classes on this subject:

People do love to bring their own plants, but it makes it much harder on
you. Chances are, they won't bring the right pots to repot into; some will
be monsters 5+ years past due for repotting; etc., etc.

Don't forget sterilization. The single-edge razorblades are good, for small
plants, but my fingers aren't strong enough to get through the bigger ones
with them. Also sterilizing if they want to re-use their pots.

Phals are easy. You should include one, since so many people have them, but
if you want to fascinate your audience, grab a big Catt or Dendrobium to
demonstrate with. Kenni

"Nancy G." wrote in message
oups.com...
I am hosting the orchid meeting next month in my home. The subject
will be potting orchids. Most of the members are new to orchids and
intimidated by the thought of transplanting and dividing. I plan on a
hands on session.

I have a good assortment of potting mediums that I will have prepared
to display and use, tools, tags, clips, and stakes, and misc other
supplies and tools for the members to use. I have some test plants for
transplanting and dividing. Seedlings and drop ons are the fastest.
But I would like to take the time to divide a couple of orchids to give
them an opportunity to inspect roots, select different mixes, and get
their hands dirty.

The meeting generally lasts 2 hours, and I am seeking suggestions for
what orchiids to use to benefit the members the most. I hope to make
it fun and interesting.

Nancy G.

Potting Demonstration Diana Kulaga Orchids 2 29-03-2006 08:58 PM
Potting Demonstration Jack Orchids 0 29-03-2006 12:52 AM
Help: Compost Demonstration Site RiversideGraduateDp North Carolina 4 19-07-2005 07:16 PM
SAVE THE LUNDY RATS Demonstration on 8th May - D Day is coming, B there. T N Nurse United Kingdom 0 02-05-2003 02:56 PM
Free gourd crafting demonstration J.Fleming North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:34 PM