Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-03-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Joe Dane

Default Plants held by county- curious why.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and I
am wondering if anyone might have an insight into why it
happened.

Placed an order through a very reputable company. New
world orchid, if anyone is curious. He is out of Michigan.
He goes to the shows in Japan every year and brings stuff
back. I have ordered through him many times. I figure, he
had to have a permit to bring them in the country... and he
does. So I get a letter today from my counties agriculture
weights and measures department saying they have seized
the plants, for violation of CCR 6421. "Lacks marking and
statement of certificate of contents and growing origin."

I am in California. Why do they want growing origin if it
is going from one state to the next? He is faxing them phyto,
and cites... but again.... I have bought from him dozens of
times and I don't quite get it. There has never been a problem
before.

I guess I am wondering if there is some new law I should
know about. I occasionally order stuff from Equagenera, and
have them ship from the shows. It seems like a huge hassle
to ask every company I buy from to make sure the include
cites.

Thanks

Joe