Old 05-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
UKOrchidFan

Default Phal Cuttings??

Hi - would apprecaite your help. I have a white phalaenopsis in flower
and would like to take a cutting and grow another plant in rooting gel?

A few numerous questions:

- will this work ?
- what cuttung should I take ? Leaf, Stem or Root?
- any other considerations

....all advice gratefully received

many thanks

Lawrence

Old 05-04-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

With phals you don't take a cutting, you keiki the plant, if you google
KEIKI, you will come up with a number of methods, the more simple one
is to remove the bract on the 2nd or 3rd node of the spike and apply
rooting compound wrap in moist paper towel or moss, wrap that in saran
wrap, and see if it will produce another plant

this site has instructions and picture of how to do it

http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/site/content/view/30/71/

Jack

Old 05-04-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

http://www.geocities.com/~marylois/archiv23.html

Try this link.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 06-04-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

To answer your question - NO, it will not work. These guys preaching
Keiki are right.

Keiki paste has cytokinins and giberllic acid in it, both powerful
promotors of cell division. After a few weeks, the induced growth
begins to differentiate into a new 'keiki plant' , or basically lil'
baby phal on your inflourescence.