GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ok, so I'm lazy tonight... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/142697-ok-so-im-lazy-tonight.html)

Reka 19-04-2006 09:24 PM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

....and it's late. If I want to soak my orchids in Physan 20 solution and
need 2 tsp. of 20% Physan per gallon of water,how many tsp. do I need of
50% Physan for 5 liters? (I can get 50% benzalkonium chloride here which
should be relatively similar, if not equal, to Physan -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride)

Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Jack 19-04-2006 10:44 PM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

Reka wrote:
...and it's late. If I want to soak my orchids in Physan 20 solution and
need 2 tsp. of 20% Physan per gallon of water,how many tsp. do I need of
50% Physan for 5 liters?

converting 1 ga into 3.8L gives you a concentration of 10ml to 3.8l or
..5262ml 100% physan to 1L, time that by five, devide it by .5 (solution
precentage) you get 5.2631ml

or a hefty teaspoon of the 50% stuff

Yep I'm board

Jack

Reka 20-04-2006 06:29 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

In article . com,
says...
~
~Reka wrote:
~ ...and it's late. If I want to soak my orchids in Physan 20 solution and
~ need 2 tsp. of 20% Physan per gallon of water,how many tsp. do I need of
~ 50% Physan for 5 liters?
~
~converting 1 ga into 3.8L gives you a concentration of 10ml to 3.8l or
~.5262ml 100% physan to 1L, time that by five, devide it by .5 (solution
~precentage) you get 5.2631ml
~
~or a hefty teaspoon of the 50% stuff
~
~Yep I'm board
~
~Jack
~
~
But does that take into consideration that Physan is 20% while my solution
is 50%?

Jack 20-04-2006 07:05 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

yes

Jack 20-04-2006 07:06 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

yes
but not for the chemical difference

Reka 20-04-2006 03:53 PM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

In article ,
says...
~Forgive me for being picky, but were those US or imperial gallons?
~
~On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:24:25 +0200, Reka wrote:
~
~...and it's late. If I want to soak my orchids in Physan 20 solution and
~need 2 tsp. of 20% Physan per gallon of water,how many tsp. do I need of
~50% Physan for 5 liters? (I can get 50% benzalkonium chloride here which
~should be relatively similar, if not equal, to Physan -
~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride)
~
~--
~Dave Gillingham
~------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~To email me remove the .private from my email address.
~
Hey, Dave! Welcome back!

US gallons, of course! Are there any other gallons? grin ;-)

Reka 20-04-2006 03:54 PM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

In article .com,
says...
~yes
~but not for the chemical difference
~
~
What do you mean about the chemical difference?
I need to know how much 50% Physan to substitute for 20% Physan, and
convert from Gallons to liters...

Jack 20-04-2006 06:55 PM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

I use benzalkonium chloride at work (disinfecting handwash gel, the
alternitive to alcohol) there are different parts of the mix of
compounds in physan that work on different organisms, what I mean is
that it should work, but maybe better for bacteria than algea ( will a
mircobiologist or organic chemist jump in here :)

If you read the techinical data it should explain the mechinism of
action, which should go into what it is approved for use on and what
it has been tested on....

I do know that it will make pennies very shinny but then prone to
corrosion later.

Jack

Ray 21-04-2006 02:33 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

1) Use 2/5 of the amount of 50% to equal the 20% stuff.

2) 3.8 liters per gallon is good enough.

3) One teaspoon is about 5 ml

Therefore, if 1 teaspoon of 20% per gallon is your target, then you use 2 ml
/ 3.8 l = about 1/2 ml/liter of the 50% stuff.

.. .

Reka 21-04-2006 06:10 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

In article ,
says...
~1) Use 2/5 of the amount of 50% to equal the 20% stuff.
~
~2) 3.8 liters per gallon is good enough.
~
~3) One teaspoon is about 5 ml
~
~Therefore, if 1 teaspoon of 20% per gallon is your target, then you use 2 ml
~/ 3.8 l = about 1/2 ml/liter of the 50% stuff.
~
~
Okay, so we are talking about 2tsp./gallon 20%, 1 tsp./5 liters 50%.

Do you guys use less than 2 tsp. gallon?

Ray 21-04-2006 10:48 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

I use one tsp/gal.

"Reka" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

Dave Gillingham 21-04-2006 11:18 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:53:35 +0200, Reka wrote:

In article ,
says...
~Forgive me for being picky, but were those US or imperial gallons?
~
~On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:24:25 +0200, Reka wrote:
~
~...and it's late. If I want to soak my orchids in Physan 20 solution and
~need 2 tsp. of 20% Physan per gallon of water,how many tsp. do I need of
~50% Physan for 5 liters? (I can get 50% benzalkonium chloride here which
~should be relatively similar, if not equal, to Physan -
~http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzalkonium_chloride)
~
~--
~Dave Gillingham

Hey, Dave! Welcome back!

US gallons, of course! Are there any other gallons? grin ;-)
--

Thanks for the welcome. I note your absence from postings for a week or so. Did
you go away for your Spring break?

A few pilots have found, to their sad cost, that US gallons are smaller than
imperial ones. I guess that just goes to show one should read the manual *very*
carefully.
Dave Gillingham

wendy7 21-04-2006 05:27 PM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

Reka, I use a little less than a teaspoon in the 1 quart spray bottle. I
have never dipped & soaked the entire plant. I have a couple of plants
that I am going to experiment on.
I browsed through this webpage & noticed that just for the different types
of orchids they call for different measures? Quite an in depth site.
http://www.physan.com/index.html
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Reka wrote:
In article ,
says...

Jack 22-04-2006 05:13 AM

Ok, so I'm lazy tonight...

well you won't kill them, if it works it works and if not, hope you got
some physan (ps anybody know where I can get some shipped to alaska)

If it does work let us know.

Jack