Old 21-05-2006, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

Default Sh**!

Well, I was missing for a while, now I am back with bad news. I suddenly
lost my HD with all of my data. And idiot me, usually so cautious about
everything, made no backup. Well, that will teach me!

Anyone know how much data recovery costs???

Reka
Old 21-05-2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Do the platters of the hd still spin? Use a paper towel tube to listen to
the hd. If so, you can recoup the data yourself using any number of
available online recovery programs. It could also be that your boot sector
is corrupt and you can repair that with a Windows disk. If the platters
won't spin, you can try to unstick them with one of the 2 methods I've tried
and know work (about 50% of the time). Hold the hd horizontally about 6"
above a carpet and drop. Or seal in a ziplock bag and freeze for a few
hours. Use immediately after removal from the freezer. These will not cure
the problem only give you one possible last shot at spinning the disks to
get your data. Save the data to a DVD or better to a new hd you piggyback in
your system. If these fail and the data is that important you're looking at
$500 recovery for a pro to disassemble the drive and extract the data. Good

luck.
Gary

. ..

Old 21-05-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Most data recovery firms cater to corporations with tons of sensitive data,
so start with anywhere from $300-$500 just to "look at it" and see if it's
recoverable, with the recovery costs being as much as 10x that.

However, I had such a failure some time back and found a place that did the
whole job for $400 - www.gillware.com

. ..

Old 21-05-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

Ray wrote:
Most data recovery firms cater to corporations with tons of sensitive data,
so start with anywhere from $300-$500 just to "look at it" and see if it's
recoverable, with the recovery costs being as much as 10x that.

However, I had such a failure some time back and found a place that did the
whole job for $400 - www.gillware.com

Here I can only say "Yikes!"!!!

Reka
Old 21-05-2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

V_coerulea wrote:
[...]

"Reka" wrote in message
. ..
Well, I was missing for a while, now I am back with bad news. I suddenly
lost my HD with all of my data. And idiot me, usually so cautious about
everything, made no backup. Well, that will teach me!

Anyone know how much data recovery costs???

Reka

Tried the Windows CD boot and the fridge already, didn't work. That was
the first way to go. Now a friend is trying some tricks, will give him
the carpet tip. I think it is hopeless, since the HD only clicks upon
boot trials, meaning to me that the "needle" that reads the disk does
not want to work, making further trials unnecessary...thanks anyway, and
I learned something ...

Reka

Old 21-05-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

....and data recovery firms will use external heads and motors to try to
recover the data.

"Reka" wrote in message
V_coerulea wrote:
[...]

. ..

Old 21-05-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 21 May 2006 08:12:59 +0200, Reka
wrote:

Well, I was missing for a while, now I am back with bad news. I suddenly
lost my HD with all of my data. And idiot me, usually so cautious about
everything, made no backup. Well, that will teach me!

Anyone know how much data recovery costs???

Reka

Depends on the problem Reka, often times it is over
$1000.00......backup backup backup!

There are some do it yourself tools that SOMETIMES work. What is the
drive doing?

Dave

From: "Ray"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids