GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   how can one tell that a dendrobium is beginning to spike? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/147272-how-can-one-tell-dendrobium-beginning-spike.html)

J Fortuna 02-07-2006 03:15 AM

how can one tell that a dendrobium is beginning to spike?

I know that with a Phrag a new spike looks sort of like a double-leaf. Does
the same apply to dendrobiums (phal type ones)? How can one tell that a
dendrobium is beginning to spike?

I know I am an impatient person -- I could just wait and see whether that is
a spike, but I want to know as early as possible.

Thanks,
Joanna

Dave Gillingham 02-07-2006 10:17 AM

how can one tell that a dendrobium is beginning to spike?

Joanna, by "phal type" do you mean phalaenanthe? ie D. bigibbum etc? If so,
their inflorescences are usually apical or near-apical. You get a little
protrusion begin to develop from one of the nodes near the top pf the plant.
Then, unless it develops into a keiki, the spike progressively develops. With
the phalaenanthes, the spike is typically about 1 mm in diameter. The
spatulatas (antelopes) often have spikes to around 3 mm dia. If it's a hybrid
between these two sections, still apical, but size indeterminate. If I
misunderstood phal type, sorry for wasting your time.

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 02:15:48 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

I know that with a Phrag a new spike looks sort of like a double-leaf. Does
the same apply to dendrobiums (phal type ones)? How can one tell that a
dendrobium is beginning to spike?

I know I am an impatient person -- I could just wait and see whether that is
a spike, but I want to know as early as possible.

Thanks,
Joanna

Dave Gillingham

[email protected] 02-07-2006 03:47 PM

J Fortuna wrote:

I know I am an impatient person.....

Impatient orchid grower? There's an oxymoron for you.

On most of the dendrobs I have, the blooms emerge from the leaf axils
and devleop rather quickly into unmistakable floral spikes.

J. Del Col ( whose --Vanda cristata-- opened up today. I also noticed
two new pseudobulbs emerging on --Eulophia petersii--)