Old 02-07-2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default how can one tell that a dendrobium is beginning to spike?

I know that with a Phrag a new spike looks sort of like a double-leaf. Does
the same apply to dendrobiums (phal type ones)? How can one tell that a
dendrobium is beginning to spike?

I know I am an impatient person -- I could just wait and see whether that is
a spike, but I want to know as early as possible.

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Joanna, by "phal type" do you mean phalaenanthe? ie D. bigibbum etc? If so,
their inflorescences are usually apical or near-apical. You get a little
protrusion begin to develop from one of the nodes near the top pf the plant.
Then, unless it develops into a keiki, the spike progressively develops. With
the phalaenanthes, the spike is typically about 1 mm in diameter. The
spatulatas (antelopes) often have spikes to around 3 mm dia. If it's a hybrid
between these two sections, still apical, but size indeterminate. If I
misunderstood phal type, sorry for wasting your time.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

J Fortuna wrote:

I know I am an impatient person.....

Impatient orchid grower? There's an oxymoron for you.

On most of the dendrobs I have, the blooms emerge from the leaf axils
and devleop rather quickly into unmistakable floral spikes.

J. Del Col ( whose --Vanda cristata-- opened up today. I also noticed
two new pseudobulbs emerging on --Eulophia petersii--)

Beginning Gardener? Anyone Can Do it. Cathy Glockler Marketplace 0 07-02-2007 04:28 AM
Dendrobium johannis - lovely rich brown antelope dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 06:26 AM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Dendrobium Spike cutting? Roger Boughner Orchids 13 28-07-2004 05:15 AM