GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cool article about Bob Fuchs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/149489-cool-article-about-bob-fuchs.html)

Diana Kulaga 10-09-2006 09:20 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...e/15473716.htm

Al[_1_] 10-09-2006 09:34 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

that hunting trophy room is scary.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...e/15473716.htm

Diana Kulaga 10-09-2006 10:12 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

Yeah, I could go insane in that room. Among other things, it's
claustrophobic.

Diana

K Barrett 11-09-2006 02:44 AM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

Ther whole freaking fuchs family is scary.

wendy7 11-09-2006 02:40 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

Ha! Good one Joe T.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

[email protected] 11-09-2006 03:17 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

This article confirms a judgment I reached decades ago regarding many
major-league orchidists--they're certifiably nuts or at least extremely
peculiar.

Going to orchid shows was like browsing through the DSM IV at random.

J. Del Col

Al[_1_] 11-09-2006 04:48 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

That was unexpected, but rather observant of you. I really hate it when
coffee comes out my nose.

Actually I wouldn't limit the observation to 'major-league' as it appears
it applies to local society meetings and judging events, not to mention what
walks through my greenhouse door on a weekly basis. I wonder page, (pages)
I show up on?

That would actually be a great bumper sticker or t-shirt: "DMS IV p. 356"

oups.com...

[email protected] 11-09-2006 04:49 PM

jtill wrote:
With 700 awards they must be good, just camera averse.
Joe T

Good is one thing. Bizarre is something else.

J. Del Col

Diana Kulaga 11-09-2006 08:34 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

South FL growers are notoriously nuts! I love Martin Motes, and he's nuts
too, but in an endearing way. I don't know Bob Fuchs, though I have been
through his greenhouse. It's quite a piece of property.

Of course, there's the age old feud to deal with, too. Lots of intrigue down
here. But boy, can they grow plants, and especially Vandaceous plants.
Nobody can argue that they don't know their stuff.

Taking a tour through orchid country down in the Homestead area is pure
bliss. So many wonderful growers!

Diana

[email protected] 11-09-2006 09:12 PM

Diana Kulaga wrote:
South FL growers are notoriously nuts!

yeah, barbara baldan struck me as a little odd when i was down there
last.

damn, fuchs is 60? i should look that good at 60. (he was very nice
though. and a greenhouse floor one could eat off of, if one were so
inclined... but i can do without all the dead animals on the walls. :(

--j_a

Susan Erickson 12-09-2006 06:06 AM

On 11 Sep 2006 13:12:51 -0700, wrote:
----------clip--------------------
inclined... but i can do without all the dead animals on the walls. :(

--j_a

You did notice -- he as desisted and only did it for 5 years while his
brother mounted them for him.... Probably can't give bro's work away
now.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Kenni Judd 12-09-2006 04:28 PM

Cool article about Bob Fuchs

When I was active in running a professional association of local growers in
my neck of the woods, one of the things I always emphasized to potential new
members was that a certain degree of "eccentricity" is necessary to be in
this business, and it appears to be a progressive disease (some of our
members had been growing for 30+ years ...)
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids -- moving into our 9th year in this location :)

[email protected] 12-09-2006 05:08 PM

Kenni Judd wrote:
When I was active in running a professional association of local growers in
my neck of the woods, one of the things I always emphasized to potential new
members was that a certain degree of "eccentricity" is necessary to be in
this business, ...

True, but then there's clinical derangement. I've met some orchidists
who shouldn't be out in public without a keeper.

J. Del Col