Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-10-2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default is there money in orchids?

I know there are some growers/sellers here ,those of you that have turned
your hobby into a bussinnes i have a personel Q! Do you make enough
money(profit after running costs) from selling orchids for it to be the only
income? I know this is a broad Q as it depends what income the individual
requires to live to the standard they are happy with. I am asking this Q as
i am hopefully embarking into the selling side,initially hopefully to cover
the heating costs.But my dream would be to be able to pack my job in and
have a fully up and running orchid nursury that is my nursury/full time job.
I would need £20,000 min wages after tax etc a year to be able to fully live
from it.
But i have no idea what orchid nursuries turn over as obviously this sort of
info isnt normally disclosed.I suspect things are quite tight
financially,but if this is true how are bussineses able to keep running?I am
basing this on the UK ,were i live i feel there is a market here as there
isnt a lot of growers in the UK so choice is very limited .I know that in
other countries like USA choice isnt a problem?
Thanks for any input
Cheers Keith