GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   finding orchids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/152415-finding-orchids.html)

gerald 19-01-2007 02:40 PM

finding orchids

how does one go about finding a particular relatively pedestrian
orchid.

I would like to find a large(4-5") juree red den, and a large (4-6")
c. Horace "maxima".

the den holds up for 6 months, and the cat for 2 months.

K Barrett 19-01-2007 05:03 PM

finding orchids

The first thing I try is to Google the orchid name and see who may have it
for sale. The second thing I try (for the cattleya) is to go to some of the
big cattleya houses and see if it is in theior list like Carter and Holmes,
Chadwick, or the Santa Barbara orchid Estate. (You can get Carter and Holmes
from Amazon.com, btw. I think there's a difference in shipping costs
between the C&H web page and the Amazon web page, but check me on that)

The trick will be to find a Horace and not a Horace hybrid.

The Orchid Mall (orchidmall.com) used to have a search feature too.

K Barrett

K Barrett 19-01-2007 05:12 PM

finding orchids

Chadwick & Sons has a Horace for $60. I hope the price means its in your
size range. Other wise Carter and Holmes has a Horace in a 3" pot. 2 years
till bloom.

K Barrett

jtill 21-01-2007 04:39 AM

finding orchids

The Ebay address below (cut and paste into your search engine) lists
four C. Horace Maxima crosses that may interest you. Cost with
shipping would be about $15, shipping included, if you are good at
bidding. I did not check your other plant. I also use FROOGLE to search
for plants.
Joe T

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...axima%22 .+++