Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default The Rant That I Can't Write

To all of you who *rant*, I am so upset tonight that I can't even get it out
properly. I have been attacked by a member of our society, someone who is a
great grower. Someone who is with the *in* crowd. I am in the *in* crowd, I
guess, but my *in crowd* is not the crowd who lives on the big hill.

Frank & I have worked our butts off to make this society the best it can be.
We cart stuff, do presentations, act as officers, I do the newsletter, he
does the graphics for publicity. We, together, do so much. I can't even
begin to describe what we do, and we don't want any accolades. At the recent
show, I recruited a couple of very capable people to place the trophies
(which I bought) and they did a great job. Good on them, because my back
hurt, and I didn't want to climb into the displays.

Late this afternoon I rec'd an email from someone who has been a friend. Not
close, but a friend. He took me to task for what he thought was an omission
in the newsletter about the AOS. (Did I say he's the AOS Rep? Did I say he's
so into awards that anyone is fair game?) He wants every word of the AOS
stuff in the newsletter. Hmm. Could that be because the more he gets
exposure, the more awards he gets? In this area, yes.

I have been attacked for the past few hours. I am so angry that I could
spit. You know what?

Hymn. Hymn. Sing him a hymn!!!!!

Thanks for the outlet. I'll be sorry I sent this in the moring, but it feels
great right now..

DK

Old 01-04-2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Very good! I like it. Hope it helps. Remember, in human relations,
when all else fails stand up and bust them in the mouth. Hard.
Joe T

Old 01-04-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Email hymn the newsletter templates, .pdf program and any other programs you
use to make the newsletter and wish hymn luck with his new job. Take all the
stuff you cart to the meetings and the society stuff you store in your
garage and drop it on his front lawn. Then walk away.

K Barrett

.. .

Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Charlie Brown would say "My stomach hurts". Trouble with this kind of guy is,
he hurts others because they take pride (and I don't mean his kind of hubris) in
working behind the scenes. He has no such problem, so his hide would make an
elephant look thin-skinned.

It's easy to say - ignore him; laugh it off. But, because of your pride in your
work you can't do that.

But that's where we come in. You can't cry on Frank's shoulder - he's in it
too. Here are our shoulders, milady. And, seriously, letting it out often
helps.

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:33:48 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

[...]

Dave Gillingham
Old 01-04-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana's rant!
((((((Late this afternoon I rec'd an email from someone who has been a
friend. Not
close, but a friend. He took me to task for what he thought was an omission
in the newsletter about the AOS. (Did I say he's the AOS Rep? Did I say he's
so into awards that anyone is fair game?) He wants every word of the AOS
stuff in the newsletter. Hmm. Could that be because the more he gets
exposure, the more awards he gets? In this area, yes.))))))

Why should you have AOS news in your newsletter? Doesn't the AOS have
their own?
There is one in every group, arrogant & in it for the glory.
This is a reason why I chose not to get involved as I was hurt years
ago.
Once bitten twice shy.

Go ahead & spit girl, just a word of caution tho, be careful what you
put in writing in this day & age.

Also, while you have control of what goes into your news letter, omit, omit,
omit.

Cheers Wendy

Old 01-04-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Since this guy knows so much about what should be in the newsletter ask him
if he wants to take the job as editor. Then he can write volumes about
himself and the AOS. He'd be a superstar!

Stay Cool Diana.....You're with the *in* crowd here on RGO!

Gene

Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I run into that sort of crap all of the time at work.

My approach would be - as others have suggested - offer the job to the jerk.

I might also just keep silent (those who know me well may doubt that),
publish the next newsletter with an editorial remarking about the uncouth
nature of some (unnamed), and describe their "sins", then resign as editor.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

See? I knew I had kindred spirits here! What a group. Of course, I woke up
feeling much better this morning. I won't walk away from the society, at
least not now; there are too many good people involved and it keeps getting
better.

One screaming meemee is not going to scare me off. One omission in my
original post had to do with those trophies. Someone apparently walked off
with a couple of glasses that belonged to the winning society display. That
was probably accidental, but who knows? This guy had a cow, and has been a
b********d ever since. I don't know what's really behind all this sudden
anger. It ain't a couple of glasses from Pier One, and it ain't two lines
left out of a newsletter. He's got a bug about something, and I don't give a
rat's patootie what it is.

I have no time for this kind of quasi-political vitriol. Thanks, guys.

Diana

Old 02-04-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:28:32 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

See? I knew I had kindred spirits here! What a group. Of course, I woke up
feeling much better this morning. I won't walk away from the society, at
least not now; there are too many good people involved and it keeps getting
better.

One screaming meemee is not going to scare me off. One omission in my

Don't resign.... Fight.
Our OS President got the floor wiped with her ego by her best friend
(prior) during our last show. She broke down 2 days later after
announcements in the meeting and said - I can't do this any more. At
the special board meeting she was informed that she had resigned and
they took a vote on a new president from the board members present. A
first yr member got the vote. Everyone else liked their
responsibilities and did not want to change. So now the Pres who was
doing something to bring life back to the society is out and the party
crowd is in control. The AOS rep decided to talk to the board about
the current state of "education" vs "Hospitality" expenses and 501(C)3
rules.
I wish I could go to the board meeting, but I hope to get to the NY
show that week. Got to play Gma and being close to the city --
maybe....G

We did registration with an access program for shows for 4-5 years.
The process of producing the judges folders takes time after the
plants are registered and the judging teams are set. The typo factor
is a real hassle. We finally got it down to a reasonable time. John
took a look at "party central" at the preview party. He said last Oct.
that this is the last show he would register.
Then a novice entrant who showed up late, tried to register in the
wrong classes and was forced to register before he had everything set,
in order to make the cutoff threw a public snit-fit. You can not stop
the vile slander, but you can live above it. Let those who know you
tell the others that is hog-wash. It is the ONLY way.

Also the Snit-Fit crew will demonstrate their Snit-Fit style again and
again. Eventually they will become known as Snit-Fit and be ignored.
SuE
Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

what wendy said.

this guy sounds like he seriously needs to get a life.

(a local botanical garden where i'm a member is starting up an "orchid
club"--i said what the hell, and signed up. i can't wait 'til someone
brings up "AOS affiliation, yes/no? discuss." ought to be fun to
watch.)

--j_a

Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 1, 1:28 pm, "Diana Kulaga" wrote:

I have no time for this kind of quasi-political vitriol. Thanks, guys.

Diana

What they all said plus this:

Newsletter editors come in two flavors. 1, they reprint verbatim
anything anyone gives them without any changes or additions of their
own; in effect they do little more than collate, print and mail. If
nobody submits anything nothing gets printed. Or 2.) They edit,
correct, fact-check, re-write, create and design and sweat and cry
over every little detail and try not to go insane when everybody
around them acts like they never read any of the info you just spent
all night making sure was perfect before you sent it out. "When is
the annual picnic and who do we contact? How come we never hear
anything about it ahead of time?" Most 'editors' are some mixture of
the two. However as editor, YOU have the final word on everything
that gets printed...or whoever wants the final word, can do the work
amd you can go grow your orchids. :-) Nobody wants this job, which
gives you great power here. Enjoy it. People will spin whatever you
do. That is part of the fun. You control their speed and
trajectory. Tell Mr. Stick-up-his-butt (nicely) that you would like
to print a correction and ask him to send you his thoughts for
inclusion in the next newsletter and...if you really want to put him
in orbit and you don't mind being called passive aggressive, edit his
submission heavily and spell his name wrong in the by-line and act all
surprised and chagrined when it is pointed out that you did bad.
You'll be glad you did. And next month everybody will read every word
you print.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

FWIW, guys, I have calmed down substantially. What's left is some sadness,
but that too will pass.

Thanks. You always make me smile.

Diana

Old 03-04-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Always remember, you are the Editor. You have the power.

You don't -have- to print anything.

J. Del Col

Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 3, 5:46 pm, "jadel" wrote:
Always remember, you are the Editor. You have the power.

You don't -have- to print anything.

J. Del Col

I'm glad you are feeling better Diana, hope Frank is too!