GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trouble with Vandas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/156514-trouble-vandas.html)

Alicia Moïse 08-04-2007 06:11 PM

Trouble with Vandas

Live in central OH and keep several vandas in my conservatory on a humidity
tray. The leaves turn yellow and fall off then it dies. What else do they
need? Dendrobiums, cattelayas, phalenopsis live in the same room and are
thriving. Varigated papheopedolums have healthy foliage but don't bloom.
Any suggestions?

Steve[_2_] 08-04-2007 11:16 PM

Trouble with Vandas

Alicia Moïse wrote:
Live in central OH and keep several vandas in my conservatory on a humidity
tray. The leaves turn yellow and fall off then it dies. What else do they
need? Dendrobiums, cattelayas, phalenopsis live in the same room and are
thriving. Varigated papheopedolums have healthy foliage but don't bloom.
Any suggestions?

Do the Vandas tend to start that kind of trouble in the winter?
What's the coldest that it ever gets in that conservatory?
If not too cold, how is it heated?

Steve .... who grew up in central Ohio .... 30 years ago.

Alicia Moïse 09-04-2007 12:29 AM

Trouble with Vandas

Yes they get sick in the Winter. The lowest temp is 65 but humidity becomes
a problem. Heat is with an electric heat pump.
Thanks.

SuE 10-04-2007 02:08 AM

Trouble with Vandas

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 23:29:12 GMT, "Alicia Moïse"
wrote:

Yes they get sick in the Winter. The lowest temp is 65 but humidity becomes
a problem. Heat is with an electric heat pump.
Thanks.
"Steve" wrote in message
m...
Alicia Moïse wrote:
Live in central OH and keep several vandas in my conservatory on a
humidity tray. The leaves turn yellow and fall off then it dies. What
else do they need? Dendrobiums, cattelayas, phalenopsis live in the same
room and are thriving. Varigated papheopedolums have healthy foliage but
don't bloom. Any suggestions?

How are they potted? IF they are in baskets they will need to be
watered often. IF they are in pots with mix - not quite as often. But
still Vandas have a tendency to put their roots out into the air, thus
they need a light hosing often. We mist for a solid minute every
morning. (yes, it is automatic.)
A low of 65 should not bother them, but if the humidity is 20% rather
than above 35% they will need some extra moisture.
SuE