GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   GIfts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/166548-gifts.html)

neiljsalkind 07-11-2007 05:52 PM

GIfts

I would like to purchase a gift of a book for a new orchid fan. He is
beginning to grow orchids on his own and is quite smart so lots of
information, in addition to pictures, would be great. Also, does
anyone have any experience with the Orchid-of-the-month club? I'd like
to look into that as a gift as well. Thanks - Neil

K Barrett 07-11-2007 09:03 PM

GIfts

The 'Bible' is Rebecca Northen's book 'Home Orchid Growing' and should be
available from one of the used book vendors at Amazon.com.
K Barrett

oups.com...

Fire 07-11-2007 09:35 PM

GIfts

This is an excellent book.

http://www.southfloridaorchidsociety.org/book.php

Gary

Kenni Judd 07-11-2007 11:43 PM

GIfts

Where does your recipient live/grow? I ask because there are many good
"general" books, but only a couple specifically targeted to growing in hot
humid climates.

The previously-mentioned Northen book is indeed the "bible," but it can be
heavy slogging for a relatively new grower and, with all due respect, some
of the advice therein is simply not appropriate for very hot humid
environments. For the latter, I recommend "Orchid Growing in the Tropics,"
published by OSSEA, probably available from the AOS. Kenni

Frank H. Kirchner 08-11-2007 11:57 AM

GIfts

There are so many that are wonderful. Favorites of mine that I keep
returning to both for beauty and scholarly information are Bechtel's Manual
of Cultivated Orchids and/or Pridgeon's The Illustrated Orchid Encyclopedia.
Neither are particularly practical for the how to's of growing but are great