Old 22-04-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Seed Pod dehisence

One day the pod looked great, the next day it burst open shedding seed (or
chaff) all over the mother plant. That was Saturday. Sunday I moved plants
from a friend's GH to mine so was unable to deal wiht the pod because -
blankly - I had no idea what to do with it. I still don't know.

Monday (yesterday) I cut it from the mother plant, scraped up all the
seed/chaff I could, put it in an envelope, and there it sits.

Now what? I think its been too long and the seeds have probably died by
this time, doncha think?

K Barrett

Old 22-04-2008, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

No.

The seed, however, is likely quite contaminated, so if you can find someone
to culture them, they will need to do some decent disinfecting first.

Old 23-04-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K.,
I did not catch what orchid it was. Here's what I do if I miss the
event that I've been waiting on for months. Seed often lingers in the
pod until it dries a bit and is shaken or blown out by the wind.
Starting with a ?million seeds you may have several thousand to work
with. That might produce as many seedlings as you want to raise.
Especially the seed that remained in the capsule should have been
drier and therefore have a better chance of beng sown successfully.
The difference from sowing a green pod is that the loose dry seed must
be disinfected. One method is to soak the seed in a 5% chlorox
solution for precisely 10 minutes before rising and sowing it into a
flask. Using a toothpick get as many seed out of the pod husk and
discard the husk. You might also use a tweezer to pick out the fuzzy
chaff and shake out the seed. Having placed the seed in a common paper
envelope, fold the corners and tape just the corners and seam. Avoid
sealing the entire envelope in plastic or other which will cause the
trapped air to condense moisture. A commercial lab of course would be
the best bet.
Lee

Old 23-04-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks Lee. I did just that, placed the whole thing in an envelope and gave
it to a friend last night to take to a commercial flasker. This is a cross
of C dormaniana and B cucullata. Pretty weird. I can't wait to see the
lip, LOL!