Old 17-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Kevin Laurence

Default Prune Phalaenopsis 'Happy Girl'

Dear All,

We have a Phalaenopsis "Happy Girl" that has two stalks. One stalk has lost
all its flowers; the other still has several flowers. Should we prune it at
all?

Kevin

Old 17-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

That is, to some degree, a matter of preference.

I let mine decide for themselves, especially if they're strong plants - if
the inflorescence starts to yellow, chop it off close to the plant.

Some will tell you to cut the spent spike just above the third "node" (those
little flaps on the stalk), or just below the point where the lowest bud
opened. If the pant is weak or in need of repotting, chop them off.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 17-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 17 May 2003 12:34:07 -0400, Kevin Laurence wrote:

Dear All,

We have a Phalaenopsis "Happy Girl" that has two stalks. One stalk has
lost all its flowers; the other still has several flowers. Should we
prune it at all?

Kevin

That's a personal call, some people cut off the spikes, some leave it
until it dies first. Either way you're safe.
Old 18-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Gene Schurg

I'll give the dissenting opinion here.

I cut the Phalaenopsis flower stalks off when the flowers die (or most of
them have died). I cut it back to the plant (leaving about 1/4 inch stub).
I do this because I don't want the plant wasting energy pushing out a few
flowers that usually don't display well. I'd prefer the plant use the
energy to put out a couple of leaves and build up strength. I want bigger
or more flowers next year rather than an extra flower or two.

One year I did not cut the old spikes. In September the plants started to
put out a few flowers on the old spikes and did not send up a new fresh
spike for the new season. Now I cut them all.

Of course this doesn't apply to many of the species that rebloom for years
on older spikes. I also don't cut spikes that have begun to keiki.

Good Growing,
Gene