Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
molli

Default Giant wildlife

So I had the bright idea to take some of my blooming orchids (ok, all the
blooming ones) outside in our nice warm weather to enjoy the sun. I"m
sitting there admiring the Iwan. Apple blosson 'gala' when I get the fright
of my life! Biggest, ugliest dang moth I ever saw, 3 inches long at
least..AND this thing has a nose just as long!!! Pointy like a mosquito, but
with a bend in the end. It went straight to the gala and stuck that honker
of a beak into a bloom..and then went on to another one! I never stopped to
consider if I took my plants outside that something might come along and
possibly pollinate...I just hope it doesn't go after my paphs too......

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Gene Schurg

Molli,

Giant Moths? with a nose like a mosquito?

Sounds a bit like a hummingbird moth. I get them in my garden all the time
and they are harmless. If you don't want nature to do what comes naturally
then you have to keep the plants indoor. That moth just figured it hit the
jackpot!

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Diane Mancino

who would think you had the right pollinator right in your yard- think it
was stalking you?

Diane

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
molli

Thank you Gene, It gave me quite a fright this morning. Now I have a 'name'
to put to the moth, and I'll be looking for it. It can snack all it wants
to as long as it doesn't pollinate....lol

--

Hugs,
Molli

thlink.net...

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
molli

I think it was stalking my Iwan. instead..I"d seen it hanging on the window
screen looking longingly in last week, before I took them outside.

--

Hugs,
Molli

. ..

Old 31-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Steve

I'll sneak in a few words about hummingbird moths, because I think they
are very cool.
They look and behave so much like a hummingbird that it's hard to
believe they are a moth and not a bird when you first see them. If your
first thought was that it was a moth, it makes me wonder if it was
another kind of moth.
Easy enough to clear up, I guess. Is this what you had? Pictures found
on the web (not mine):
http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/cards...s/P5210140.jpg
http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/cards...s/P5210137.jpg
Don't let the pink color throw you; I don't remember seeing it on the
ones in my yard. I seem to remember some green tints. It's been almost
two years since my last sighting so I could remember wrong.

Steve

Old 01-06-2003, 02:08 AM
molli

Oh yeah...that was definitely what I saw, without the pink....how could I
think it was a moth..lets see..its miller (moth) season here so almost
anything that flies is a moth..AND I was literally nose to nose with it...I
was bending to sniff the flower to see if it was fragrant yet when the moth
had the same idea....

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 01-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Wendy

There once was an orchid grower named Molli,
She loved all her plants with much folly.
She wondered how much sun they could tolerate,
With her nose too close she disturbed a big moth who
was trying to pollinate.
Cheers Wendy

Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
J. Del Col

"molli" wrote in message ...
So I had the bright idea to take some of my blooming orchids (ok, all the
blooming ones) outside in our nice warm weather to enjoy the sun. I"m
sitting there admiring the Iwan. Apple blosson 'gala' when I get the fright
of my life! Biggest, ugliest dang moth I ever saw, 3 inches long at
least..AND this thing has a nose just as long!!! Pointy like a mosquito, but
with a bend in the end. It went straight to the gala and stuck that honker
of a beak into a bloom..and then went on to another one! I never stopped to
consider if I took my plants outside that something might come along and
possibly pollinate...I just hope it doesn't go after my paphs too......

It was a sphinx moth. There are many species of them.

J. Del Col