Old 15-06-2003, 06:46 PM
seymour

Default Help: Sowbugs

After setting my plants outside this spring sowbugs seem to think
anything potted in bark is something between the Hilton and the best buffet
they ever say. It's not just a bug or two, that I handle, they're inviting
their friends and setting up colonies.
I'm about ready to mix 5 gal insecticide, dunk each one, and then flush
with water after 10 minutes or so. Any thought, help, or prayers to the
orchid gods would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

Old 15-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:38:55 -0400, "seymour"
wrote:

After setting my plants outside this spring sowbugs seem to think
anything potted in bark is something between the Hilton and the best buffet
they ever say. It's not just a bug or two, that I handle, they're inviting
their friends and setting up colonies.
I'm about ready to mix 5 gal insecticide, dunk each one, and then flush
with water after 10 minutes or so. Any thought, help, or prayers to the
orchid gods would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

They are not insects - the Bug Spray will not kill them. Dry
your area out. Are your plants sitting on the ground? Are they
in saucers? Can you hang them, or put some gravel under them so
they drain better? Your setting yourself up for a case of root
rot as well as bug heaven.

SuE
Old 15-06-2003, 08:08 PM
jim seymour

Thanks for the quick response.
They were put on the deck railing. No saucers...have had nearly 30 days with
rain in the past forty...mid Atlantic states. Haven't watered them in a
month but they drain well. I realize they are not insects, more like
miniature rodents from hell, but something must kill the lil critters. I
tried alcohol but when my head cleared they were still there. Repot, oh joy,
and use more caution?
Jim

PS: Please accept my apologies for the misdirected to you, it has been a
frustrating day

wrote:

After setting my plants outside this spring sowbugs seem to think
anything potted in bark is something between the Hilton and the best

buffet
they ever saw. It's not just a bug or two, that I handle, they're

Old 15-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

u might try dunking the whole pot in a bucket of water for some period of
time - I would expect the little guys would either drown or come to the
surface?

Old 15-06-2003, 09:44 PM
The Edgleys

These nasty critters actually have gills. They are crustaceans. When
Diazanon was available, I would mix up a big bucket of the stuff and just
pour it through the pots like I was watering them. This was pretty
effective. You might have to repot with fresh media and carefully clean the
roots. Many years ago I lost a lot of plants to these pests before I
discovered what was going on. Do not delay!

David Edgley
on beautiful Whidbey Island

Old 16-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Pat Brennan

Default Sowbugs

Sevin is labeled for them. You'll have to check to see if it is labeled for
orchids. Why in such a hurry to wash the stuff out? Give it time to work.
I'd wait until the next time I watered to wash it out, but what do I know.
You'll have to look up the life cycle stuff, but I'm betting it will take
three drenches about ten days apart to clear up the problem. You also need
to figure out how they got there in the first place and fix that problem.

Pat

Old 16-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Jim S

sue you are right they are crustations like but the insecticide will very
much work n them

perimeter pesticide spray may help break the cycle for a short time but
will not eliminate the problem permanently.

Remember, if you don't solve the moisture problem, the bugs will return no
matter what chemicals you use, or how much you use them.

Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Diane Mancino

I wonder if its worth risking taking the orchids outside- everything inside
is controlled so far. Does it help the plants THAT much?

Old 20-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Troy

I've very good luck sprinkling Seven dust around the pots. anything that
crosses the line will die. The plants didn't seem to care.
Hope this helps.
Troy

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Sowbugs!? Buzzy Gardening 6 12-06-2003 04:20 PM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM