GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Epidendrum/Encyclia ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/36440-epidendrum-encyclia-id.html)

Nina Baltes 13-07-2003 04:08 PM

Epidendrum/Encyclia ID

Hello everyone,

I purchased a plant labeled as "Epidendrum lepifolium" from the
collection of the Herrenhausen botanical Garden here in Hannover,
Germany. I can't seem to find that name anywhere.

The pseudobulbs are about 8 cm (~3") long, and accoridng to someone
who bought one too, the blooms smell like honey around mid-day (I
haven't been able to catch it yet ;) ), and they don't open
completely. I hope someone around here can identify the plant :).

Here are some pictures:

flower:

http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/temp/lepifolium.jpg
http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/temp/epi1.jpg
http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/temp/epi2.jpg

entire plant:

http://www.chaotropic.net/temp/epi3.jpg

Oh, and here's what's blooming in Herrenhausen at the moment:
http://www.chaotropic.net/orchideenhaus1.html

:)

Nina
--
C'est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot.
Louis Pasteur

Eric Hunt 13-07-2003 11:12 PM

Epidendrum/Encyclia ID

Nina,

We have that exact same species blooming at OrchidMania (www.orchids.org)
here in San Francisco, but we just have it as "Encyclia sp."

All I can tell you is that it's now a Prosthechea species.

Once I get my pictures back, along with your pictures, I will start
researching the literature I have.

-Eric in SF

Nina Baltes 13-07-2003 11:13 PM

Epidendrum/Encyclia ID

Eric Hunt wrote:

We have that exact same species blooming at OrchidMania (www.orchids.org)
here in San Francisco,

Ah!

but we just have it as "Encyclia sp."

Oh.

;)

Well, at least it's not some freaky never-before-seen plant. I saw
the mother plant too, it was massive.

All I can tell you is that it's now a Prosthechea species.

Once I get my pictures back, along with your pictures, I will start
researching the literature I have.

Excellent, thank you very much. There's a date in 1985 on my
plant's tag which may be the collection date of the original
specimen, maybe "lepifolium" once was a valid name?

Nina