Old 15-07-2003, 05:28 AM
nightwriter

Default love this NG - phal question

great newsgroup, just found it last week. people seem helpful in here.
helps to have addictions, i suppose.

so.. my first ever orchid... he's two years old now. flowered twice. now,
he's got three spikes about to flower again. but i'm concerned about how
big he is. he keeps 'doubling' his crown, like a building, stacking himself
up and up and up. he's got 3 layers right now. is this abnormal? i know
the quick answer is 'if they're flowering, it can't be too bad', but i'm
worried nonetheless.

also, i have another phal nearby, and he's not even close to flowering, and
recently had to cut a couple of kikis off (both are doing fine). any
suggestions on what to do for a previously stressed phal?

oh my god, i have more questions: when is a lady slipper (sorry, can't
remember the name) supposed to spike? flowered in february, grew quite a
bit since.

thanks guys.

Old 15-07-2003, 05:28 AM
K Barrett

Are we talking about a phal that's stacking itself up and up and up? If so,
depending on the species that are in the plants background its OK. I have a
Phal Bonnie Vasquez 'Orchid World' that does that. Just gets larger and
longer. Its healthy. Good growing.

As to the one that keikis, lots of times phals keiki if the temps get too
high when the stem elongates, so check your daytime temps. Try and keep it
under 85. Don't you wish the freeways were like that?

If your lady slipper last flowered in Feb expect flowers around that same
time next year. (Not to be confused with the movie of the same name).

K Barrett

ble.rogers.com...