Old 21-07-2003, 09:37 PM
rosemary

Default Phalaenopsis Bloom Stem

I have a Phalaenopsis Hybrid that bloomed beautifully 2 years ago.
The "bloom stem" died back afterwards- and though the rest of the
plant looks wonderful and healthy, it has never re-appeared. Is there
something I need to do to encourage a new bloom stem? The leaves are
dark green and healthy, as does the root system. I have kept it in
indirect sun, water after letting it dry out, and fertilize monthly.

Thanks.
Old 22-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:55:30 -0400, "Ted Byers"
wrote:

To get the inflorescence (what you're calling the "bloom stem") started, you
need to ensure that, for a little while after the last bloom has faded,
there is a perio where the day time temperatures it sees are over 10 degrees
higher than the might time temperatures.

clipp ----------------
little light. Are the leaves on your phal dark green or light green? If
they're rather dark, they may not get enough light (but if you decide to
increase the light, be sure to do it slowly so it has time to adapt).

Cheers,
Ted

I have not had a Phal that liked light enough to get healthy
light green leaves. Be careful of light on the Phal leaves.

For me it has been a case of the temp. drop at the right time of
year. If you are growing indoors, make sure there is NOT a
constant temp. You need to allow the plant to have a cool night.
You might have to help it along. Up north some people move it to
a windowsill on a cool fall evening. In other locations people
take them down to the basement every night until the bloom spike
is seen to be developing. Do what you need to do to insure the
drop in evening temp from the high of the day. Most of us enjoy
the cooler evening air, just as the Phals do.
SuE