GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cypriped green pod timings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/37928-cypriped-green-pod-timings.html)

rajiv 22-07-2003 03:42 PM

cypriped green pod timings

Hi:

I have a developing cyp kentukience capsule, which i wanted to put
into culture before the seeds matured, to avoid dormancy problems.
What is the optimum time of harvest of the pod from the time of
pollination?

thanks

rajiv

Slipper_Kip 02-08-2003 02:22 AM

cypriped green pod timings

(rajiv) wrote in message . com...
Hi:

I have a developing cyp kentukience capsule, which i wanted to put
into culture before the seeds matured, to avoid dormancy problems.
What is the optimum time of harvest of the pod from the time of
pollination?

thanks

rajiv

I've learned from friends around the world who sow Cypripedium seed
the harvest time normally used to avoid dormancy when sowing
Cyp. kentuckiense seed is 56 days from time of pollination.

Good luck with your seed.

Slipper Kip

Aaron Hicks 02-08-2003 08:12 AM

cypriped green pod timings

You know, I remembered someone asking this, but didn't remember
WHERE until I saw Kip's reply. Kip has it correct- I asked one of my
colleagues, and he advised 60 days.

Do not send e-mail to the address in the header. Doesn't work.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

rajiv 05-08-2003 04:19 AM

cypriped green pod timings

Thanks aaron and kip....i did sow the seed on cypripedium media from
phytotech. However i think the pod is over 60 days old( pollinated
sometime in May!!??). Lets see what happens.

Rajiv

Giulio Farinelli 05-08-2003 12:22 PM

cypriped green pod timings

"Slipper_Kip" wrote in message
om

Good luck with your seed.

Slipper Kip

Hello Kip :)
Sorry if I don't send you seeds this year but i had my marriage exactly
in the blooming time.
By the way, have you some results with last year seeds?

Giulio
from the hottest Italy of every time

Slipper_Kip 06-08-2003 06:02 PM

cypriped green pod timings

By the way, have you some results with last year seeds?

Giulio

Hi Giulio,

I am happy to say that several of your species germinated well including;

Orchis fragrans v. coriophora
Orchis papilionacea
Ophrys bombifolia
Ophrys fusca
Ophrys sphegodes
Ophrys tenthredinifera

Thank you again, and good luck with your new wife. I hope she likes
orchids too?

Kip K.

Giulio Farinelli 07-08-2003 11:12 AM

cypriped green pod timings

"Slipper_Kip" wrote in message
om

I am happy to say that several of your species germinated well
including;

Happy to hear this :)

remember that they want a warm, dry rest in summer. Ophrys bombiliflora
and fusca require winter with minimum temps just above freezing, while
other can go some degree below.

I hope she likes orchids too?

So and so ;)

Giulio