Old 07-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Eroyee

Default Greenhouses..

... I've read around that orchids do well in more humid type of areas.. I
have also found that -some- green houses can be very inexpensive, especially
if all I'm trying to keep is one orchid plant (possibly a smaller one).. So
I don't need anything too elaborate and big..
I've seen online some really little tiny green houses, some portable, some
not.. But the main thing is, these things look very good.. And can be
obtained for about $50..
Naturally the thought comes to mind of buying an old bird cage (kinda like
the one tweety is always in), and wrapping glad wrap all around it, and
creating the same sort of atmosphere..
My question is, are these things good? Has anyone bought one or is using one
on their orchid?
Can a fishtank work?

I'm still new to all this gardening things, and do apologize for my
seemingly naive questions.. But would very much like to learn about orchids
and where they'd be best kept..

I've said earlier that am really nervous about buying an orchid, my main
concern would be for it to just simply die on me, especially if it could be
avoided by simply asking before buying....

Thanks for all your time and patience..

Old 07-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Wendy

Hello Eroyee, Sounds like you are ready to take the plunge but wise to ask
questions. Also read, read & read some more!
One rule of thumb is to know where the species grows.
eg. In the mountains of Colombia some orchids are attached to branches of
trees.
They get lots of rain in season, humidity, constant breezes & fresh air,
very little fertilizer.
If you can simulate this atmosphere for your plant, it should grow & bloom.
Good luck & happy shopping! *g*
Cheers Wendy

Old 08-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Making a cheap minigreenhouse isn't that diffecult. Just remember you'll a
little airmovement and sometimes a little fresch air. (For small gh like
aquariums... you can use old ventilators from pc's, low cost, use very
little electricity and can be put on a cheap 24 houre timer)
Posting a pic of my improvised mini greenhouse in the other groep.
cheers
Peter

"Eroyee" eroyeeattelstra.com schreef in bericht

Old 08-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Diana Kulaga

I love it.......a few days ago he woke up and decided he needed an orchid,
and already we're talking about a mini greenhouse.

1: Take Wendy's excellent advice and provide your baby with what it would
get in its natural habitat.
2: Yes, a fishtank would work.
3: Your plant will need decent air circulation, so you don't want to
completely wrap it up in plastic. In larger GHs there are big fans to keep
the air moving.
4: Forget the 'one orchid' idea. It doesn't work that way! They multiply
when you least expect it. (Well, okay, it's like potato chips. Nobody can
have just one.......)

Diana

[IBC] Panels for Greenhouses ?? Mark Hill Bonsai 5 12-03-2003 03:44 PM
Are double glazed greenhouses feasible ?? gray United Kingdom 6 08-02-2003 09:08 PM
Greenhouses Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:27 PM
Greenhouses CK United Kingdom 0 04-02-2003 08:53 AM
Greenhouses Julie Gardening 2 02-02-2003 06:34 PM