Old 11-08-2003, 06:10 AM
Paulo

Default ONcidium Flexorum

Hi everyone, some time ago I was commenting about my OF it started to grow
for the 2 oldest pseudobulbs....Well now this new little leaves are turning
brown. I have repotted recenlty in a mix of medium size bark....I dont know
if need more water or less...right now i am watering twice a week, when i
notice the bark is dry.....Any suggestion?

--
Paulo

Old 11-08-2003, 06:12 AM
K Barrett

3 things come to mind

1) was it in medium bark to begin with? Usually, the rule of thumb is to use
bark in the same size as the size of the roots (fine roots = small bark) The
medium bark might be too large for it and its drying out prematurely.

2) did you premoisten the bark prior to using it? Lots of times the bark has
a bunch of dust and dirt in it too and this adds salts to the potting
mixture, which the roots pick up and causes leaf tip die back. Pre rinsing,
pre moistening cleans the bark.

3) I forgot what the 3rd thing was.... It'll come to me and I'll repost
unless someone else comes up with it 1st. *G*

Anyway, you could try covering the medium bark with sphagnum moss in an
atempt to hold more moisture at the roots if repotting it in finer medium is
too much trouble.

K Barrett
"Paulo" wrotein message
.. .

Old 11-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Paulo

I do not remember, but i think the original bark mix was fine....That could
be the problem.....but it is curious the plant started to grow when i
repotted...I think i will repot again, check the roots, and add some
spanghum moss to the mix..

Thanks a lot

--
Paulo
et...

Old 11-08-2003, 04:22 PM
K Barrett

Orchids always respond with a growth spurt right after repotting because
they are in a fresher medium. Only after some time does one find out if it
is suitable or not. Suitable in terms of the plant liking it and it being
suited to your growing n=habits too. At least that's been my experience.

K Barrett

.. .

ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 06:06 AM
ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 06:05 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 03:44 PM
Oncidium flexorum Paulo Orchids 19 04-07-2003 05:56 PM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM