Old 26-08-2003, 03:04 AM

Default May Vanda roots touch the floor?

Do Vanda roots have to be kept off the floor? Entirely, mostly,
preferably?

What happens when the overall height of plant + root gets to be more
than your growing space? Can the roots be trimmed?

TIA. I must say, this is one of the friendliest and most helpful
groups on USENET.

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 26-08-2003, 04:03 AM
Martin

They don't have to,but they will evenually attach themselves to whatever they
touch.They can be trimmed but i would try something else first like raising it.
I only trim dead roots.

Old 26-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Wendy

Makes me think of one of mine, a huge plant given to me. I put one of those
clear plastice saucers
under it & over the last couple of years the roots went round & round. The
saucer is full!???
Cheers Wendy (who never cuts live roots)!

Old 26-08-2003, 08:22 PM
K Barrett

I read Wendy, Martin's and Bolero's answers and have to ask them, don't the
roots get scuffed up once they touch the floor? Or stepped on? Or have ants
or other critters use them as a superhighway up into the plant? Or as a site
where bacteria from the floor get into the plant? I mean, I don't leave
plants on my gh foor, much less encourage their roots to touch it. Just too
many critters can get in the pots.

My 'answer' to the question is anectdotal only. I have seen pictures of
Vandaceous plants with their roots tied up out of harm's way. I believe
David Grove says this leads to the death of any roots at the center of the
bundle. But don't quote me on that. I *think* he says you can give the roots
a trim, as they will branch... but again. I usually don't like to trim roots
either. These may be more successfully trimmed becasue they are out in the
breeze, not stuffed in a pot where microbes can infect them.

K Barrett

Old 26-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Gannet,

I have a very tall Vand with long, long roots. Here's what I've done with
it. If the plant is in a basket, try loosely winding the root mass around
the top of the basket. Be sure to water thoroughly first.

Diana

Old 27-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Bolero

Ummmmmmm read my answer careful..........I wasn't actually talking about
roots.

he he he

Sorry it was a naughty post.