GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/41527-horticultural-vermiculite-%3D-industrial-vermiculite.html)

DavidandAllision 28-08-2003 12:12 PM

Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite

I've been looking for a local source for coarse vermiculite. I came across some
industrial grade coarse vermiculite used for packaging / mailing liquids. It
Meets ICAA & IATA hazardous material requirements. Whatever that means. What do
you think?

Ray 28-08-2003 01:32 PM

Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite

Vermiculite is a flat-layered mineral akin to mica. It is heated to drive
off the water molecules that bind the layers, and when they're gone, the
stuff expands to the form we know.

If the stuff has no additives that are detrimental to plants, I cannot see
why it wouldn't be OK.

Personally, I don't like it in orchid media, as with time the water
molecules bid the layers again, causing the stuff to compact.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Eric Muehlbauer 29-08-2003 02:22 AM

Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite

It may also have too basic a pH....I have heard that about industrial
vermiculite. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

DavidandAllision 29-08-2003 03:42 PM

Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite

I finally received the MSDS product sheet and from what I can read seems like
everyday vermiculite. I think I'll give it a try.

http://www.uline.com/pdf/MS-3327.PDF

Ray 29-08-2003 04:12 PM

Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite

It might not hurt to soak some in an excess of water overnight and measure
the pH before using it, just to be safe.

DavidandAllision 29-08-2003 05:22 PM

Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite

"Ray"

It might not hurt to soak some in an excess of water overnight and measure
the pH before using it, just to be safe.

Good idea. I like this stuff because its really coarse and since its right
around the corner I save the shipping.