GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/43929-bromiliads-phal-bud-blast-ethelyne-gas.html)

Al 24-09-2003 10:12 AM

Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas

I am under the impression that Bromeliads produce and may require ethylene
gas in the nutrient filled water cup in order to bloom well. I am also
under the impression that Phal buds do not like ethylene gas and will blast
if too much of it is around them. I had a question in my email from a
person who mentioned they grow both of these together in a bay window as
part of a question about Phal bud blast.

Of course, there is a zillion reasons why Phals buds blast, but I am
wondering if there is anybody out there who grows and blooms both of these
plants together in close proximity who has noticed Phal bud blast as a
problem and connected it to their Bromeliads.

Diane M. 24-09-2003 01:22 PM

Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas

Al, I 'm glad you wrote about this. I have a large bromeliad in the growing
room- no blooms at the moment, I just happen to have anything in bloom in
the living room, but am getting spikes on plants in tee same room.

Diana Kulaga 24-09-2003 11:02 PM

Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas

Al,

We have Phals and bromeliads growing very close together, including many
Tillies right next to Phals, with no ill effects on either. However, our
plants are outside, with good air circulation, so I don't know if our
situation counts.

Diana