Old 24-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Al

Default Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas

I am under the impression that Bromeliads produce and may require ethylene
gas in the nutrient filled water cup in order to bloom well. I am also
under the impression that Phal buds do not like ethylene gas and will blast
if too much of it is around them. I had a question in my email from a
person who mentioned they grow both of these together in a bay window as
part of a question about Phal bud blast.

Of course, there is a zillion reasons why Phals buds blast, but I am
wondering if there is anybody out there who grows and blooms both of these
plants together in close proximity who has noticed Phal bud blast as a
problem and connected it to their Bromeliads.

Old 24-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Diane M.

Al, I 'm glad you wrote about this. I have a large bromeliad in the growing
room- no blooms at the moment, I just happen to have anything in bloom in
the living room, but am getting spikes on plants in tee same room.

Old 24-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Al,

We have Phals and bromeliads growing very close together, including many
Tillies right next to Phals, with no ill effects on either. However, our
plants are outside, with good air circulation, so I don't know if our
situation counts.

Diana

Bud Blast on Ang. Leonis?? Al Orchids 0 29-11-2004 02:01 PM
bud blast - causes? J Fortuna Orchids 6 30-03-2004 07:18 PM
ripening fruit causing bud blast. kenty ;-\) Orchids 2 27-01-2004 01:02 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 3 01-12-2003 01:22 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 0 30-11-2003 09:41 PM