Old 26-09-2003, 02:45 AM
HHAC Inc

Default Whats wrong with my Vanda?

Grrrrrrrrr. Nice healthy Vanda. this is the first year the flower shoot has
fully developed. Only problem is each individual flower stem turns brown and
dies before the blossom opens. I sure would like to see the flower !!

Its growing in a hanging basket filled with lava rock, along with a few other
orchids. the others bloom year round. Orange County Ca. 7 miles inland.
it gets the same water, fertilizer, sunlight and neglect all the other orchids
that do flower.....

any tips, ideas suggestions?

many thanks
Old 26-09-2003, 07:09 AM
Wendy

Hi there neighbour! We are 8 miles as the crow flies in MV.
Wondering if you maybe have misters & they are getting wet for too long?
Have you checked for ants?
Are they under cover, in a greenhouse?
If so, do you have a fan blowing on them?
Cheers Wendy

Old 26-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Wendy

Nine times out of ten, where there are ants there are other bugs!
Now this could be the cause of the flowers blasting?
Check in the leaves for any signs.
Yes I would deter the ants as they tend to farm!
Cheers Wendy

"HHAC Inc" wrote in message
"Wendy" wrote in message

hmOcb.24098$Ms2.2763@fed1read03

Hi there neighbour! We are 8 miles as the crow flies in MV.
Wondering if you maybe have misters & they are getting wet for too long?
Have you checked for ants?
Are they under cover, in a greenhouse?
If so, do you have a fan blowing on them?
Cheers Wendy

Hi Wendy Thanks for the response...

yes, i've noticed a steady stream of ants...nuke 'em?
no misters, water infrequently, once a week usually, garden hose drenching
under patio cover, no fan, no breeze
stems dry out, not mushy

by the sounds of things, its lucky to be alive!

many thanks for the input

Old 26-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

One other thing: Unlike most other orchids, Vandas need more than weekly
watering. Most folks water daily, and feed frequently.

Diana

"HHAC Inc" wrote in message
Grrrrrrrrr. Nice healthy Vanda. this is the first year the flower

shoot
has
fully developed. Only problem is each individual flower stem turns

brown
and
dies before the blossom opens. I sure would like to see the flower

!!

Old 29-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Kenni Judd

We do indeed water our vandaceous daily, at least in the hot weather, but
ours [with just a few exceptions] have no potting medium. They are either
"bare in the basket" or have no basket at all [they do very well for us on
wire hangers -- lighter to move, take up less space, don't grow together as
quickly]. With lava rock media, daily watering would probably be too much,
but weekly still doesn't sound like enough. My guess would be 2x/week,
maybe 3x/week if the temps are high and the humidity is low.

I also second the comment about the presence of ants being a signal of other
bug problems. Thrips or aphids would be the most likely culprits in our
area. Both can be hard to spot. Thrips are very tiny black insects [so
small they can get inside a flower bud before it opens], and they can move
like lightning; aphids are slightly larger, and seem to come in a variety of
colors, but they aren't quite as mobile.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
ink.net...

Old 29-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Kenni Judd" writes:
quickly]. With lava rock media, daily watering would probably be too much,
but weekly still doesn't sound like enough. My guess would be 2x/week,
maybe 3x/week if the temps are high and the humidity is low.

Mine are potted in huge chunks of fir bark. They get water about every
second day during summer (30+C, low humidity, 50-80kLux), every four
days during winter (20ish C, 60% humidity, 40kLux)

None of them have flowered for me, but one can only hope something
happens when winter comes around again.

small they can get inside a flower bud before it opens], and they can move
like lightning; aphids are slightly larger, and seem to come in a variety of
colors, but they aren't quite as mobile.

This only goes until there are enough of them. Then the blighters grow
wings to colonize new areas and go all over the place.

They _are_ easily spottable. Soapy water kills them off
here. ("Grønnsåpe" is what is commonly used here. It is made from a
plant oil base, and is highly alkaline. Adjust the pH of your medium
afterwards.)

Geir
Old 29-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

We grow our Vandaceous plants bare root as well, or in some cases with a
little charcoal in the basket (if the plant came to us that way we leave it
in, but I don't bother otherwise). I wouldn't have a clue as to how often
to water if they were in some kind of medium. Anyway, they like what we
give them.

Diana

. ..

Old 29-09-2003, 11:12 PM
HHAC Inc

Hi I'm the OP on this thread, and let me just say thank you very much for all
the wonderful ideas and points of views.

now for the good news!!!

what I though were brown, dying stems turns out to be orangish colored flower
stems. Three big flowers have opened and 7 more up the stalk are on the way!
The petals are orangeish with reddish spots on them.

This Vanda is about 24" tall from where it emerges from the lava rock, I'm
curious how tall do they usually get and how does a person propogate them?

Old 30-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Leonard

I have a problem with ants just getting in all my plants out on the patio.
How do you get rid of them? Seems like when I try to get rid of them in one
plant I just see them in another. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in all
the plants out there. I was thinking the need the water and I water
frequently out there. I live in california bay area. Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Thanks, Len

. ..

Old 02-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Wendy

I have used Ortho Ant Stop "Dust" it is a powder form. Comes in spray & the
little tin traps.
I used it inside the greenhouse & it took care of a whole army last year!
Of course you have to be careful where there are children & pets.
Cheers Wendy
"Leonard" wrote in message
I have a problem with ants just getting in all my plants out on the patio.
How do you get rid of them? Seems like when I try to get rid of them in

one
plant I just see them in another. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in

all
the plants out there. I was thinking the need the water and I water
frequently out there. I live in california bay area. Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Thanks, Len

. ..

Old 06-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Diane M.

I think a ant is an ant- so try ant traps that have boric acid. (Terra X is
one, but there are many) The traps can be hid away from kids and pets. the
ant takes the bait back to the ant nest and feeds it to the other ants.
takes about 2 weeks, so they say- I didn't see any after that, but then i
didn't look for them either

"Leonard" wrote in message
I have a problem with ants just getting in all my plants out on the

patio.
How do you get rid of them? Seems like when I try to get rid of them in

one
plant I just see them in another. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in

all
the plants out there. I was thinking the need the water and I water
frequently out there. I live in california bay area. Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Thanks, Len

. ..