Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default pollination and virus isue

A hypothetical situation.
If I were to pollinate an orchid with another and the pollen parent has a
virus. Is it then possible that the seedparent gets infected by the same
virus????
Thing is I have two miltonia's in full bloom. The seedparent is a full size
regular bloomer with purple flowers. (1-5/infloressence, single colour.)
The pollen parent is smaller and not as strong (younger) but has a nice
growthrate and flowers with three colours. (Big pink/purple lip, the rest is
a very light green almost white with spots in the same colour as the lip.
Also a plant with up to 5 flowers per infloressence. Put this plant has some
returning spots that don't look like caused by water, sun or fungus.
I don't have names for them, but like them none the less.
I'm trying to sow orchids, butt for that I need seed. Now the local sowing
club has been a great help, but I would realy like to make my own crosses.
Just for the fun of it.
If I do this, it will be the 35th attempt to pollinate an orchid. I've had
two seedpods with no seed and one still growing that looks very promising.
I've been reading a lot about orchid families and possible crosses.

Last but not least. When making a hybrid the plants should be genticly
compatible.
Like brassavolae and cattleya, or catt with laelia.
But how about dendrobium? What can be combined with a dendrobium???

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Peter