GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sphagnum hazard (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/46871-sphagnum-hazard.html)

bb 08-11-2003 03:02 PM

sphagnum hazard

I was reading about sphagnum moss and there was a warning about using
gloves and a particle mask when working with it. Seems the stuff can
cause a nasty infection.

Well, last week I potted a couple plants using sphagnum, and of
course, used no mask. I now have a nasty sinus infection like I've
never had before. For a couple of days the only symptom was my whole
nose was very sore, like I had been punched. In the last two days
it's turned into a swollen, painful mess.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I'd like to have an idea if it's
a coincidence, or a result of the sphagnum contact.

bb

Jonathan Phua 08-11-2003 03:22 PM

sphagnum hazard

I don't know. But I've got a nasty ear infection after repotting a few
plants in sphag. Maybe the dust flew inside my ear? It also kelt like
somemone punched my ear, even my jaw was pain!

Jon

TRAINMAN9 08-11-2003 04:02 PM

sphagnum hazard

I was reading about sphagnum moss and there was a warning about using
gloves and a particle mask when working with it. Seems the stuff can
cause a nasty infection.

This has been well known for some time. The best way to handle NZ Spagnum is to
use gloves and soak the spagnum to control the dust. The reason for the gloves
is to protect against the stuff coming into contact with a break in the skin
and causing an infection.

profpam 08-11-2003 06:22 PM

sphagnum hazard

I read some place that spagnum moss was once used to cover battle
wounds; however, just in the last century has it become subject to
fungus. I also read somewhere that it caused trichosporosis (a node
appearing on the skin) the same as a rose thorn in the finger. My vague
recollection was that iodine treatments cured the problem. And, I
believe a link to this information appeared on this forum a few years
ago; so, if interested one would have to do a little research.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Bill Landers 08-11-2003 09:12 PM

sphagnum hazard

"profpam" wrote in message ...
I read some place that spagnum moss was once used to cover battle
wounds; however, just in the last century has it become subject to
fungus. I also read somewhere that it caused trichosporosis (a node
appearing on the skin) the same as a rose thorn in the finger. My vague
recollection was that iodine treatments cured the problem. And, I
believe a link to this information appeared on this forum a few years
ago; so, if interested one would have to do a little research.

. . . Pam

Problems related to the use of sphagnum moss surfaced during the late
1980's. A study was subsequently posted entitled "Sporotrichosis- An
Occupational Hazard for Nursery Workers, Tree Planters and Orchid Growers"
in the June 1990 issue of The American Orchid Society Bulletin. The fungus
responsible for the infection is Sporothrix schenckii. Skin lesions can
include Cutaneous lymphatic sporotrichosis and Cutaneous nonlymphatic
sporotrichosis. Extracutaneous sporotrichosis infections can be pulmonary,
osteoarticular, ocular, central nervous system, and a multifocal form.
Protective measures include the use of gloves and long-sleeved shirts, as
well as breathing masks. Injury through a thorn or splinter can be treated
with tincture of iodine. Under treatment, the article states that Cutaneous
sporotrichosis does not respond to treatment with antibacterial antibiotics
or with local applications of antifungal preparations. Orally administered
potassium iodide (KI) given daily in milk, as a saturated solution of KI, is
effective. Recognize that this article is 13 years old, and newer and more
effective treatments may be available. I still think that standard
protective gear and common sense will minimize the chance of contracting the
pathogen.

I knew there was a reason I saved all those back issues of the American
Orchid Society Bulletin/Orchids g. Back to lurker status.
Bill Landers

Diana Kulaga 08-11-2003 09:42 PM

sphagnum hazard

Back to lurker status.

Oops, you're out now! May as well stay!

Diana

Dewitt 08-11-2003 10:02 PM

sphagnum hazard

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 16:06:33 -0500, "Bill Landers"
wrote:

Recognize that this article is 13 years old, and newer and more
effective treatments may be available. I still think that standard
protective gear and common sense will minimize the chance of contracting the
pathogen.

Looks like your treatment info is still current. Here's what the CDC
has to say:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...richosis_g.htm

deg

Kenty ;-\) 08-11-2003 10:42 PM

sphagnum hazard

thanks for the info, I didn't know this, I will now be more careful when
handing sphagnum moss!! it doesn't sound a nice bug to catch,I have never
taken precautions & I am sure loads of others never have either.
thanks keith

Dewitt 09-11-2003 12:32 AM

sphagnum hazard

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 22:41:37 -0000, "Kenty ;-\)"
wrote:

thanks for the info, I didn't know this, I will now be more careful when
handing sphagnum moss!! it doesn't sound a nice bug to catch,I have never
taken precautions & I am sure loads of others never have either.
thanks keith

I never have taken any precautions either. It would be interesting to
know if any of the commercial growers who pot in sphagnum, like Al,
take precautions when using it.

deg

Michael Gerzog 09-11-2003 01:02 AM

sphagnum hazard

bb wrote in message . ..

Anyone have any similar experiences? I'd like to have an idea if it's
a coincidence, or a result of the sphagnum contact.

bb

Pure coincidence. The infection you're referring to -- sporotrichosis
- is fungal and pretty rare unless you have a compromised immune
system. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but I'm willing to
hazard the guess that a fungal sinus or (typical) "ear infection"
would be one for the record books....

Andrew 09-11-2003 02:02 AM

sphagnum hazard

bb wrote in message . ..
I was reading about sphagnum moss and there was a warning about using
gloves and a particle mask when working with it. Seems the stuff can
cause a nasty infection.

Well, last week I potted a couple plants using sphagnum, and of
course, used no mask. I now have a nasty sinus infection like I've
never had before. For a couple of days the only symptom was my whole
nose was very sore, like I had been punched. In the last two days
it's turned into a swollen, painful mess.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I'd like to have an idea if it's
a coincidence, or a result of the sphagnum contact.

bb

The risk of contracting Sporotrichosis from handling sphgnum is low.
The risk of pulmonary sporotrichosis is even lower (the fungus is
normally introduced via cuts and abrasions). Even for pulmonary
sporotrichosis the symptoms are more indicative of a chest infection
than sinus problems. I imagine your sinus problems are either
unrelated or the usual sore nose you get when you inhale a bunch of
dusty crud. Still gloves and a mask are a good idea when handling any
dry potting material.

Dragoncarer 09-11-2003 04:42 AM

sphagnum hazard

wrote:

thanks for the info, I didn't know this, I will now be more careful when
handing sphagnum moss!! it doesn't sound a nice bug to catch,I have never
taken precautions & I am sure loads of others never have either.
thanks keith

I never have taken any precautions either. It would be interesting to
know if any of the commercial growers who pot in sphagnum, like Al,
take precautions when using it.

deg

But really, folks...have any of you read the Safety warnings on _any_ packet
of gardening stuff? And actually followed it?

All soils/ potting mixtures/ whatever employ micro-organisms....they're a part
of life, and they're certainly necessary for soil to do its job. We're
_always_ meant to wear goggles, gloves, and face masks when hadnling
_anything_ in the garden, even if we're just doing general gardening
stuff...but especially if handling soils/ mixes and so on.

I think you're all getting a bit over-concerned about Sphag in particular.
Sphag Moss, just like any other soil/ fertiliser/ mulch/ garden muck can be
dangerous if we inhale it, either because of fine particles or because of
organisms/ bacteria/ nasties in the product.

What i'm saying is CALM DOWN!!! If you're worried about getting infections or
anything from Sphag, then you should be worried about getting the same from
any mixture used in gardening.

So, of course, common safety sense is all that's needed.
When in the garden, _always_ wear gloves, a shirt, a hat, sunscreen, a
mouth-mask (just a simple filter one is fine) and goggles...all of these
things can help you become more safe in much than just one way...

--

'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan. 'And that is both
honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow

http://spiltink.alphalink.com.au
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...r_aod_bugs.txt - Now with 33
bugs!

Dewitt 09-11-2003 05:02 AM

sphagnum hazard

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:29:55 +1100, Dragoncarer
wrote:

What i'm saying is CALM DOWN!!! If you're worried about getting infections or
anything from Sphag, then you should be worried about getting the same from
any mixture used in gardening.

So, of course, common safety sense is all that's needed.
When in the garden, _always_ wear gloves, a shirt, a hat, sunscreen, a
mouth-mask (just a simple filter one is fine) and goggles...all of these
things can help you become more safe in much than just one way...

Just add a full body condom and I'm there. . .

Seriously, I don't wear gloves or any other protective gear when I pot
with sphagnum and I'm not particularly concerned about it. I am,
however, curious to know if others do practice "safe potting".

deg

Dragoncarer 09-11-2003 06:32 AM

sphagnum hazard

wrote:

What i'm saying is CALM DOWN!!! If you're worried about getting infections or
anything from Sphag, then you should be worried about getting the same from
any mixture used in gardening.

So, of course, common safety sense is all that's needed.
When in the garden, _always_ wear gloves, a shirt, a hat, sunscreen, a
mouth-mask (just a simple filter one is fine) and goggles...all of these
things can help you become more safe in much than just one way...

Just add a full body condom and I'm there. . .

Seriously, I don't wear gloves or any other protective gear when I pot
with sphagnum and I'm not particularly concerned about it. I am,
however, curious to know if others do practice "safe potting".

deg

LOL....very quaint...

I agree. I rarely use protective equipment when gardening, except for gloves. I
also use gloves. Always...althgough I don't use them for Sphag, but mostly because
I rarely handle it, it cleans off your hands easily, and requires deft fingers to
manouvre it around...

I've never had a problem, but I thought I should just say all of the above before
people start getting soooooo worried.

It's like everything in this society nowadays. Everyone's so afraid of germs, and
often someone'll say something bad about one little thing, and it'll get blown out
of proportion. I could see that happenning with the big Sphagnum Moss Controversy
of 2003.

Dragoncarer 09-11-2003 11:02 AM

sphagnum hazard

"Kenty ;-)" wrote:

you would look right walking around the garden like that !! ;-) just to dead
head-get real.
kenty
snip

I'm sorry, but...am _I_ the dead head?

Look...I'm just trying to be helpful and friendly here...and surely this _is_
getting real....it's about health and safety!!!

We don't all follow the advice, do we? I certianly don't....but I was only
trying to point out the fallacy of getting worked up over Sphag Moss!

Jeesh...try to be a little helpful....

Sorry if I'm not the dead-head...but then, who is?

White Monkey 09-11-2003 12:22 PM

sphagnum hazard

you would look right walking around the garden like that !! ;-) just to
dead
head-get real.
kenty
snip

I'm sorry, but...am _I_ the dead head?
Look...I'm just trying to be helpful and friendly here...and surely this

_is_
getting real....it's about health and safety!!!
We don't all follow the advice, do we? I certianly don't....but I was only
trying to point out the fallacy of getting worked up over Sphag Moss!
Jeesh...try to be a little helpful....
Sorry if I'm not the dead-head...but then, who is?

It's really difficult for me to tell if you're being funny or not... so I'll
put my foot in... in case you don't know this, dead-heading is removing the
spent flowers from flowering plants. The other poster meant it would seem a
little extreme to most folks to put on an environment suit just to snip a
few dead flowers off their stalks, however recommended.
--Katrina

---

Kenty ;-\) 09-11-2003 07:02 PM

sphagnum hazard

thanks Katrina,you got it.I wasn't being horrible just putting my point
across in a funny sort of way,maybe I should have put it another way,but
maybe now you know what I meant by deadheading you will find this funny,I
do! ;-)
cheers kenty
m...

Dragoncarer 10-11-2003 04:32 AM

sphagnum hazard

White Monkey wrote:

[...]

Ha yes...thankyou....

But still, my mysterious question remains (and it gets even more mysterious):

Who _is_ the Dead Head?

*cure outer limits music*

White Monkey 10-11-2003 07:22 AM

sphagnum hazard

Who _is_ the Dead Head?

I am the walrus...

*cure outer limits music*

I don't think the Cure DID the Outer Limits Theme...

--Katrina

---

Kenty ;-\) 10-11-2003 11:42 AM

sphagnum hazard

are you being serious! you could be the dead head after all ;-).
kenty
"Dragoncarer" u wrote in
message news:3faf12e9@news...

Dragoncarer 11-11-2003 05:42 AM

sphagnum hazard

White Monkey wrote:

Who _is_ the Dead Head?

I am the walrus...

*cure outer limits music*

I don't think the Cure DID the Outer Limits Theme...

--Katrina

---

sorry no, poor spelling...ha! *embarrassed chucle*

I meant, by 'cure' 'cue', hence:

'cue outer limits music'

Nell 12-11-2003 01:32 AM

sphagnum hazard

Michael Gerzog wrote:
Pure coincidence. The infection you're referring to -- sporotrichosis
- is fungal and pretty rare unless you have a compromised immune
system. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but I'm willing to
hazard the guess that a fungal sinus or (typical) "ear infection"
would be one for the record books....

I contracted sporotrichosis many years ago (in my 20s) when I was using
spagnum in repotting a Crown of Thorns.

A lump developed on my left index finger that I thought nothing of for a
while. It didn't hurt and was only a little red. Thought I might have a
splinter or something and it would work its way out.

When smaller lumps began to appear on the back of my hand and then up my
arm, I took myself to a doctor and was given the diagnosis. It was very
rare and I was asked if I would volunteer to be seen by a stream of
doctors at a city hospital, most of whom had never seen this infection.

The doctor first cleaned out the finger lesion - down to the bone (ouch)
- and gave me stuff to put in my orange juice. Nasty nasty. Iodine or
something.

I did get better but it took a long time - several months as I recall.
Prior to this I had been very healthy and didn't really feel sick with
this but was told that it could cause internal problems if not dealt with.

So... not as rare as I would have liked. And was probably infected after
being scratched by the thorns without even knowing it.

I'm sure all of this is more than any of you wanted or needed to know. I
haven't used spagnum moss since for any purpose.

Wendy 12-11-2003 03:02 AM

sphagnum hazard

Hi Nell, Interesting but traumatic event for you. Sporothichosis has been
discussed in the past but
have never heard anybody actually get the infection?
Were you using the green live sphagnum moss or the stuff that people use
nowadays that is
bleached looking & dead?
I saw a photo of a bad case & it looked terrible.
Cheers Wendy
"Nell" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

Michael Gerzog 12-11-2003 01:42 PM

sphagnum hazard

Nell wrote in message t.cable.rogers.com...

So... not as rare as I would have liked. And was probably infected after
being scratched by the thorns without even knowing it.

Ouch, that sucks! But it is still pretty rare, I've been into
gardening for 30 years and you're only the second person I've ever
heard from who actually got infected. (I had chicken pox twice, so I
can relate to some extent to suffering from unusual occurences, though
at least that didn't take months to get over.) And insofar as this
thread is concerned, you didn't get a sinus or ear infection!

The thorn business is apparently common to many sporotrichinal
infections, I hear it's most common among rose growers who obviously
have the thorn thing to deal with on a regular basis. Another thing
to keep in mind, in general, is that the spores are not present only
in sphaghnum, but in garden soil, etc., etc. (It may vary
geographically, just like salmonella is more common on the East Coast
of the US, and botulism in the West.) It is wise to take some
precautions, at least washing your hands *thoroughly* after handling
any potting material, but IMHO not worth making yourself crazy over.

MG

White Monkey 13-11-2003 03:32 PM

sphagnum hazard

It is wise to take some
precautions, at least washing your hands *thoroughly* after handling
any potting material, but IMHO not worth making yourself crazy over.
MG

Gotta agree. There is just so much that can happen.... Tangential to the
thorns issue, I was bitten on the right forefinger knuckle a few years ago
by a perfectly ordinary large garden spider. I have been bitten by them
before, in California, several times, and, because their fangs are really
very short (so it takes a pretty big spider to get through your skin at
all), it just causes a localized mild burning and itching sensation and some
faint redness, usually only bad enough to keep having to remind myself not
to scratch it against my bluejeans periodically. This was the first time I'd
been bitten by one here in Europe, and the effect was the same, so I went on
gardening in some long-standing soil in an outdoor tub supporting various
semi-local flowering foliage.About two hours later, the entire side of my
finger erupted in very badly itching and burning tiny blisters. I could
watch them grow. JUST before I decided I'd better seek some medical
attention, it stopped spreading, so I kept an eye on it and started
research. It didn't take long to find out it just had to be dishydrotic
eczema, and that this can develop suddenly after subcutaneous exposure to
various soil fungi, most often through being bitten by a garden spider,
which usually have these fungi all over their fangs. Any time I work in
local soil without gloves, even now four or five years later, it comes back.
Go figure.
--Katrina

---

Al 15-11-2003 03:22 PM

sphagnum hazard

This is a long thread and I didn't read it all so I don't know if anybody
posted the name of the disease and a location where you can get "official"
information about it.

The disease is called Sporotrichosis
and here is a link to info about it on the Centers for Disease control
website:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...richosis_g.htm

You could read what the CDC has to say about it and even if you conclude
that you illness is not sporotrichosis, perhaps you should also see a doctor
unless the swollen and painful mess you say describe as your nose has
returned to normal. A second or even third opinion from the medical experts
in this newsgroup may also be called for. :-)

bb 15-11-2003 04:02 PM

sphagnum hazard

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:19:08 -0500, "Al" wrote:

You could read what the CDC has to say about it and even if you conclude
that you illness is not sporotrichosis, perhaps you should also see a doctor
unless the swollen and painful mess you say describe as your nose has
returned to normal.

I'm glad to say it's finally over. I'm no wimp when it comes to pain,
but whatever it was kicked my nose and eye's butt. I wouldn't wish it
on anyone. It was unlike anything I'd ever had before.

A second or even third opinion from the medical experts
in this newsgroup may also be called for. :-)

I don't know what all the bellyaching about heath care in this country
(US) is about. I can get expert medical advice not only from
virtually all the news groups, but from most anyone I talk to. I find
with doctors they want to know all the symptoms. But, with common
folk, just mention one symptom and they already know what it is you
have, someone who just had it (usually themselves), and how to treat
it (usually by taking some left over antibiotics they didn't finish
taking).

bb

Nell 15-11-2003 04:12 PM

sphagnum hazard

I was using the fresh, wet stuff. Heavey knows why. I wasn't up on my
mosses back then and just grabbed the first thing I found. I suspect I
was intending to buy peat moss because I can't imagine what sphagnum
moss would do for a crown of thorns.
N.

Wendy 15-11-2003 06:32 PM

sphagnum hazard

Well? I guess that is a bad combo, glad you are ok. Cheers Wendy
. cable.rogers.com...

Pat Brennan 15-11-2003 07:42 PM

sphagnum hazard

"bb" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:19:08 -0500, "Al" wrote:

have, someone who just had it (usually themselves), and how to treat
it (usually by taking some left over antibiotics they didn't finish
taking).

bb

Don't forget the dog's leftover antibiotics.

Pat & five dogs