Old 08-11-2003, 03:02 PM
bb

Default sphagnum hazard

I was reading about sphagnum moss and there was a warning about using
gloves and a particle mask when working with it. Seems the stuff can
cause a nasty infection.

Well, last week I potted a couple plants using sphagnum, and of
course, used no mask. I now have a nasty sinus infection like I've
never had before. For a couple of days the only symptom was my whole
nose was very sore, like I had been punched. In the last two days
it's turned into a swollen, painful mess.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I'd like to have an idea if it's
a coincidence, or a result of the sphagnum contact.

bb

Old 08-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Jonathan Phua

I don't know. But I've got a nasty ear infection after repotting a few
plants in sphag. Maybe the dust flew inside my ear? It also kelt like
somemone punched my ear, even my jaw was pain!

Jon

Old 08-11-2003, 04:02 PM
TRAINMAN9

I was reading about sphagnum moss and there was a warning about using
gloves and a particle mask when working with it. Seems the stuff can
cause a nasty infection.

This has been well known for some time. The best way to handle NZ Spagnum is to
use gloves and soak the spagnum to control the dust. The reason for the gloves
is to protect against the stuff coming into contact with a break in the skin
and causing an infection.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:22 PM
profpam

I read some place that spagnum moss was once used to cover battle
wounds; however, just in the last century has it become subject to
fungus. I also read somewhere that it caused trichosporosis (a node
appearing on the skin) the same as a rose thorn in the finger. My vague
recollection was that iodine treatments cured the problem. And, I
believe a link to this information appeared on this forum a few years
ago; so, if interested one would have to do a little research.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 08-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Bill Landers

"profpam" wrote in message ...
I read some place that spagnum moss was once used to cover battle
wounds; however, just in the last century has it become subject to
fungus. I also read somewhere that it caused trichosporosis (a node
appearing on the skin) the same as a rose thorn in the finger. My vague
recollection was that iodine treatments cured the problem. And, I
believe a link to this information appeared on this forum a few years
ago; so, if interested one would have to do a little research.

. . . Pam

Problems related to the use of sphagnum moss surfaced during the late
1980's. A study was subsequently posted entitled "Sporotrichosis- An
Occupational Hazard for Nursery Workers, Tree Planters and Orchid Growers"
in the June 1990 issue of The American Orchid Society Bulletin. The fungus
responsible for the infection is Sporothrix schenckii. Skin lesions can
include Cutaneous lymphatic sporotrichosis and Cutaneous nonlymphatic
sporotrichosis. Extracutaneous sporotrichosis infections can be pulmonary,
osteoarticular, ocular, central nervous system, and a multifocal form.
Protective measures include the use of gloves and long-sleeved shirts, as
well as breathing masks. Injury through a thorn or splinter can be treated
with tincture of iodine. Under treatment, the article states that Cutaneous
sporotrichosis does not respond to treatment with antibacterial antibiotics
or with local applications of antifungal preparations. Orally administered
potassium iodide (KI) given daily in milk, as a saturated solution of KI, is
effective. Recognize that this article is 13 years old, and newer and more
effective treatments may be available. I still think that standard
protective gear and common sense will minimize the chance of contracting the
pathogen.

I knew there was a reason I saved all those back issues of the American
Orchid Society Bulletin/Orchids g. Back to lurker status.
Bill Landers

Old 08-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Back to lurker status.

Oops, you're out now! May as well stay!

Diana

Old 08-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Dewitt

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 16:06:33 -0500, "Bill Landers"
wrote:

Recognize that this article is 13 years old, and newer and more
effective treatments may be available. I still think that standard
protective gear and common sense will minimize the chance of contracting the
pathogen.

Looks like your treatment info is still current. Here's what the CDC
has to say:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...richosis_g.htm

deg
Old 08-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Kenty ;-\)

thanks for the info, I didn't know this, I will now be more careful when
handing sphagnum moss!! it doesn't sound a nice bug to catch,I have never
taken precautions & I am sure loads of others never have either.
thanks keith

Old 09-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Dewitt

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 22:41:37 -0000, "Kenty ;-\)"
wrote:

thanks for the info, I didn't know this, I will now be more careful when
handing sphagnum moss!! it doesn't sound a nice bug to catch,I have never
taken precautions & I am sure loads of others never have either.
thanks keith

I never have taken any precautions either. It would be interesting to
know if any of the commercial growers who pot in sphagnum, like Al,
take precautions when using it.

deg

Old 09-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Michael Gerzog

bb wrote in message . ..

Anyone have any similar experiences? I'd like to have an idea if it's
a coincidence, or a result of the sphagnum contact.

bb

Pure coincidence. The infection you're referring to -- sporotrichosis
- is fungal and pretty rare unless you have a compromised immune
system. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but I'm willing to
hazard the guess that a fungal sinus or (typical) "ear infection"
would be one for the record books....

Old 09-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Andrew

bb wrote in message . ..
I was reading about sphagnum moss and there was a warning about using
gloves and a particle mask when working with it. Seems the stuff can
cause a nasty infection.

Well, last week I potted a couple plants using sphagnum, and of
course, used no mask. I now have a nasty sinus infection like I've
never had before. For a couple of days the only symptom was my whole
nose was very sore, like I had been punched. In the last two days
it's turned into a swollen, painful mess.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I'd like to have an idea if it's
a coincidence, or a result of the sphagnum contact.

bb

The risk of contracting Sporotrichosis from handling sphgnum is low.
The risk of pulmonary sporotrichosis is even lower (the fungus is
normally introduced via cuts and abrasions). Even for pulmonary
sporotrichosis the symptoms are more indicative of a chest infection
than sinus problems. I imagine your sinus problems are either
unrelated or the usual sore nose you get when you inhale a bunch of
dusty crud. Still gloves and a mask are a good idea when handling any
dry potting material.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Dragoncarer

wrote:

thanks for the info, I didn't know this, I will now be more careful when
handing sphagnum moss!! it doesn't sound a nice bug to catch,I have never
taken precautions & I am sure loads of others never have either.
thanks keith

I never have taken any precautions either. It would be interesting to
know if any of the commercial growers who pot in sphagnum, like Al,
take precautions when using it.

deg

But really, folks...have any of you read the Safety warnings on _any_ packet
of gardening stuff? And actually followed it?

All soils/ potting mixtures/ whatever employ micro-organisms....they're a part
of life, and they're certainly necessary for soil to do its job. We're
_always_ meant to wear goggles, gloves, and face masks when hadnling
_anything_ in the garden, even if we're just doing general gardening
stuff...but especially if handling soils/ mixes and so on.

I think you're all getting a bit over-concerned about Sphag in particular.
Sphag Moss, just like any other soil/ fertiliser/ mulch/ garden muck can be
dangerous if we inhale it, either because of fine particles or because of
organisms/ bacteria/ nasties in the product.

What i'm saying is CALM DOWN!!! If you're worried about getting infections or
anything from Sphag, then you should be worried about getting the same from
any mixture used in gardening.

So, of course, common safety sense is all that's needed.
When in the garden, _always_ wear gloves, a shirt, a hat, sunscreen, a
mouth-mask (just a simple filter one is fine) and goggles...all of these
things can help you become more safe in much than just one way...

--

'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan. 'And that is both
honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow

http://spiltink.alphalink.com.au
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...r_aod_bugs.txt - Now with 33
bugs!

Old 09-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Dewitt

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:29:55 +1100, Dragoncarer
wrote:

What i'm saying is CALM DOWN!!! If you're worried about getting infections or
anything from Sphag, then you should be worried about getting the same from
any mixture used in gardening.

So, of course, common safety sense is all that's needed.
When in the garden, _always_ wear gloves, a shirt, a hat, sunscreen, a
mouth-mask (just a simple filter one is fine) and goggles...all of these
things can help you become more safe in much than just one way...

Just add a full body condom and I'm there. . .

Seriously, I don't wear gloves or any other protective gear when I pot
with sphagnum and I'm not particularly concerned about it. I am,
however, curious to know if others do practice "safe potting".

deg
Old 09-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Dragoncarer

wrote:

What i'm saying is CALM DOWN!!! If you're worried about getting infections or
anything from Sphag, then you should be worried about getting the same from
any mixture used in gardening.

So, of course, common safety sense is all that's needed.
When in the garden, _always_ wear gloves, a shirt, a hat, sunscreen, a
mouth-mask (just a simple filter one is fine) and goggles...all of these
things can help you become more safe in much than just one way...

Just add a full body condom and I'm there. . .

Seriously, I don't wear gloves or any other protective gear when I pot
with sphagnum and I'm not particularly concerned about it. I am,
however, curious to know if others do practice "safe potting".

deg

LOL....very quaint...

I agree. I rarely use protective equipment when gardening, except for gloves. I
also use gloves. Always...althgough I don't use them for Sphag, but mostly because
I rarely handle it, it cleans off your hands easily, and requires deft fingers to
manouvre it around...

I've never had a problem, but I thought I should just say all of the above before
people start getting soooooo worried.

It's like everything in this society nowadays. Everyone's so afraid of germs, and
often someone'll say something bad about one little thing, and it'll get blown out
of proportion. I could see that happenning with the big Sphagnum Moss Controversy
of 2003.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Kenty ;-\)

you would look right walking around the garden like that !! ;-) just to dead
head-get real.
kenty

wrote:

[...]

Air Layering - sphagnum moss alternative gb United Kingdom 8 06-01-2006 09:51 PM
Sphagnum moss V_coerulea Orchids 8 29-12-2005 10:15 PM
potting in mosses other than sphagnum Leo Orchids 0 04-06-2004 11:03 AM
hair instead of sphagnum? agnatha3141 Orchids 19 29-11-2003 12:27 AM
Is New Zealand Sphagnum WAS repotting Andrew Orchids 1 24-06-2003 11:56 AM