Old 23-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Reclassifications - Who and Why?

All,

It came to my attention recently that one of the judges at a recent AOS
judged show refused to recognize Prosthechea as a valid classification.

I know that reclassifications are done by taxonomists, but why do they
decide to do so, and who gets the final word about what goes where? Who
gets to decide whether the new names are to be recognized?

Or is the whole deal a plot to mess with our heads?

Diana

Old 23-11-2003, 09:32 PM
K Barrett

Is that just for the award? Does the plant in question have an award history
under Encyclia? In which case they'd probably stick with the old name. It
would probably be listed in the AQ as a synonym. (There are getting to be
quite a few of those these days, and it only messes with students heads.
Judges and exhibitors can sleep well at night)

K Barrett

hlink.net...

Old 23-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Diana Kulaga

My understanding is that the judge in question simply refused to acknowledge
the category at all, for any plant. Like I said, who makes the rules?
Surely people can't just unilaterally decide for themselves?

Diana

Old 24-11-2003, 01:22 AM
K Barrett

If indeed the story as you present it is correct, the judge was probably
just blowing hot air. The judge should talk to Harry Gallis about his
mandatory 12 hours of continuing education. (You didn't know they had to
take 12 hours of cont ed, did you? Well neither did they!!)

If the judge was merely 'pontificating' and it made no difference to the
plant in terms of an award, then that's just so much hot air that judges
often spew, much to the consternation of onlookers.

Taxonomic changes, in terms of acceptance, can be a tricky path. It
generally revolves around *who* is proposing the change and how well
respected that person is in the community of taxonomists. Goes back to where
you went to school, who you studied under, and if your major professor
agreed with you and was well liked himself. You know - Academia.

I believe the preponderance of taxonomists have accepted the genus, however
these things seem to take some time for general acceptance to settle in.
Sort of run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. Flagpole saluting seems
to be where we are right now. There was a nice article written in 'Orchids'
in the last 2-3 years stating the difference between Prosthecea and
Encyclia. I would assume that means the AOS understands the difference and
accepts it. In the meantime the AOS will take the word of whichever AOS
sanctioned taxonomist the awarded plant is sent to for identification.

Again, Harry Gallis is making these crotchety old dinosaurs take 12 hours
annually of continuing ed.

We'll see how long Harry lasts. *G*

K Barrett
I believe Marilyn Light did a nice presentation on Prosthecea for
OrchidSafari, somewhere on the archives there may be a discussion about its
differnces. http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html

link.net...

Old 24-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks for all the good info, Kathy. I'll have to go back to my old Orchids
and see if I can find that article.

Diana

Old 10-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Jeff

Which species was this ???

Old 10-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Kenni Judd

Diana: Mostly, I believe it's a plot to mess with our heads [no :)].

As to who gets the "final say," it doesn't appear to be _anyone_, at least
in general [i.e., for _all_ intents and purposes]. There just doesn't seem
to be general agreement over either all these new or proposed new genera, or
who should get to make the final decision about them.

For purposes of AOS judging _only_, it would have to be the AOS itself,
since that's who the judges "work for," unless AOS decides [by official
policy] to defer to some other authority, such as the RHS [which would
appear to be the logical choice, since it's the official registrar and
maintains the records that AOS judges consult during the judging process].

It could've happened without my knowledge, in which case I hope someone will
enlighten me, but so far, I'm not aware that AOS has adopted official
policies of its own or one which adopt some other authority's decisions on
these issues. And, based on your story and many others I've seen and heard,
it appears to me that even if the AOS has adopted such policies, they've not
been effectively communicated to the judges, much less us growers.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 11-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Which species was this ???

Prosthechea vs. Encyclia, in general. The issue was confined to one judge,
however. Just a royal pain. Kenni's post mirrors my own feelings about the
topic.

Diana

Old 11-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Diana Kulaga

And, based on your story and many others I've seen and heard, it appears
to me that even if the AOS has adopted such policies, they've not been
effectively communicated to the judges, much less us growers.

Now you've said a mouthful, girl.

Diana