GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   when's the best time to repot a lycaste? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/48320-whens-best-time-repot-lycaste.html)

Jerry Hoffmeister 08-12-2003 03:32 PM

when's the best time to repot a lycaste?

Dormant or as most other orchids, when it's just starting to make new roots?

WNeptune 09-12-2003 12:02 AM

when's the best time to repot a lycaste?

Subject: when's the best time to repot a lycaste?
From: "Jerry Hoffmeister"
Date: Mon, Dec 8, 2003 11:31 AM
Dormant or as most other orchids, when it's just starting to make new roots?

I do not truly repot lycastes, but pot up when they need more room. Usually
this will be when they are starting to make inflorescences as I keep them tight
in the pot. With this in mind, most of my lycastes get to be quite large. This
year I divided many of my plants as they were now filling 12in pots. These were
knocked out of the pots, divided and repotted without cleaning any more than
what fell off in the process. This was done in the spring when new growth was
starting, but before the new roots were started.

Jerry Hoffmeister 29-12-2003 05:03 AM

when's the best time to repot a lycaste?

Dormant or as most other orchids, when it's just starting to make new
roots?

I do not truly repot lycastes, but pot up when they need more room.

Usually
this will be when they are starting to make inflorescences as I keep them

tight
in the pot. With this in mind, most of my lycastes get to be quite large.

This
year I divided many of my plants as they were now filling 12in pots. These

were
knocked out of the pots, divided and repotted without cleaning any more

than
what fell off in the process. This was done in the spring when new growth

was
starting, but before the new roots were started.

What mix do you use for them?

WNeptune 29-12-2003 04:04 PM

when's the best time to repot a lycaste?

From: "Jerry Hoffmeister"
Date: Mon, Dec 29, 2003 1:00 AM
What mix do you use for them?

I use a general type mix which I use for most of my potted plants:
To 7 parts of 50/50 med and fine fir bark add one part each of med Perlite, med
charcoal, and chunky peat. If available, also add one part med tree fern.
Wilford Neptune

Jerry Hoffmeister 29-12-2003 04:04 PM

when's the best time to repot a lycaste?

Thanks. It's interesting to hear what other people use. Lately I've been
potting just about everything in approx 4 parts medium CHC, 1 part medium
charcoal and one part medium Perlite. Some things (really fine rooted
things) I'm still potting in something like yours below (substitute fine
bark for med chc and fine charcoal and perlite) and I put zygos in something
similar to promix HP (peat moss and perlite).