Old 08-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default when's the best time to repot a lycaste?

Dormant or as most other orchids, when it's just starting to make new roots?

Old 29-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Dormant or as most other orchids, when it's just starting to make new
roots?

I do not truly repot lycastes, but pot up when they need more room.

Usually
this will be when they are starting to make inflorescences as I keep them

tight
in the pot. With this in mind, most of my lycastes get to be quite large.

This
year I divided many of my plants as they were now filling 12in pots. These

were
knocked out of the pots, divided and repotted without cleaning any more

than
what fell off in the process. This was done in the spring when new growth

was
starting, but before the new roots were started.

What mix do you use for them?

Old 29-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Thanks. It's interesting to hear what other people use. Lately I've been
potting just about everything in approx 4 parts medium CHC, 1 part medium
charcoal and one part medium Perlite. Some things (really fine rooted
things) I'm still potting in something like yours below (substitute fine
bark for med chc and fine charcoal and perlite) and I put zygos in something
similar to promix HP (peat moss and perlite).

Subject: when's the best time to repot a lycaste?
From: "Jerry Hoffmeister"
Date: Mon, Dec 29, 2003 1:00 AM
What mix do you use for them?

I use a general type mix which I use for most of my potted plants:
To 7 parts of 50/50 med and fine fir bark add one part each of med

Perlite, med
charcoal, and chunky peat. If available, also add one part med tree fern.
Wilford Neptune

Time to repot tomatoes? BigKev Edible Gardening 17 12-06-2011 08:38 AM
Time to repot my Jade Plant? Steve[_2_] Garden Photos 19 07-11-2010 04:56 PM
To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
Best time to spray nettles and brambles? Best product Chris Wilson[_2_] United Kingdom 10 24-03-2008 08:04 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM