GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sheath Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/49148-sheath-question.html)

Shell 25-12-2003 05:03 PM

Sheath Question

If an orchid is in sheath I sould be expecting a flower spike soon yes?

Shell

Kye 25-12-2003 05:12 PM

Sheath Question

Not always... many plants produce a false sheath, which is totally empty and
just does nothing. What Genera/Species is it???

Kye.

Ray 25-12-2003 06:32 PM

Sheath Question

Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of the
plant can also affect that.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Shell 26-12-2003 02:04 AM

Sheath Question

I suspect this may be a first bloom for this plant
Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of the
plant can also affect that.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Ray 26-12-2003 02:12 AM

Sheath Question

In which case a "blind" sheath is quite common.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

"Ray" wrote in message
Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of the
plant can also affect that.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Jerry Hoffmeister 26-12-2003 05:43 AM

Sheath Question

but u may get flowers...

"Ray" wrote in message
Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of

the
plant can also affect that.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Kenni Judd 26-12-2003 03:02 PM

Sheath Question

False or "blind" sheaths are common the first time a young seedling tries to
bloom [we call them "puberty" sheaths -- the plant wants to be grown up, but
just can't quite pull it off]. But it's not an "always" thing [I try not to
use words like "all," "always," "never" and "none" about orchids, because
almost invariably, if I do, one will make a liar out of me G]. Also, some
catts set their sheaths a long time [6 months or more] before they actually
bloom; sometimes so early that the sheath dries and becomes brown and papery
before the flowers actually emerge. So -- don't hold your breath, but don't
give up hope prematurely.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids