Old 25-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Shell

Default Sheath Question

If an orchid is in sheath I sould be expecting a flower spike soon yes?

Shell

Old 25-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Kye

Not always... many plants produce a false sheath, which is totally empty and
just does nothing. What Genera/Species is it???

Kye.

Old 25-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Ray

Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of the
plant can also affect that.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Old 26-12-2003, 02:04 AM
Shell

I suspect this may be a first bloom for this plant
Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of the
plant can also affect that.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Old 26-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Ray

In which case a "blind" sheath is quite common.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

"Ray" wrote in message
Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of the
plant can also affect that.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Old 26-12-2003, 05:43 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

but u may get flowers...

"Ray" wrote in message
Kye's right, but let me add that the maturity and overall health of

the
plant can also affect that.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Shell" wrote in message
m...
It's a Bl. Morning Glory
Shell

Old 26-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Kenni Judd

False or "blind" sheaths are common the first time a young seedling tries to
bloom [we call them "puberty" sheaths -- the plant wants to be grown up, but
just can't quite pull it off]. But it's not an "always" thing [I try not to
use words like "all," "always," "never" and "none" about orchids, because
almost invariably, if I do, one will make a liar out of me G]. Also, some
catts set their sheaths a long time [6 months or more] before they actually
bloom; sometimes so early that the sheath dries and becomes brown and papery
before the flowers actually emerge. So -- don't hold your breath, but don't
give up hope prematurely.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids