Old 12-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

Default Copyright

From the US Copyright Office website:

"Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed
form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the
property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those
deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright."

....and

"Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation
The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently
misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the
Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following Note.)
There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. See
"Copyright Registration."

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is
"created" when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time.
"Copies" are material objects from which a work can be read or visually
perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as
books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm.
"Phonorecords" are material objects embodying fixations of sounds
(excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as
cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the "work") can be
fixed in sheet music (" copies") or in phonograph disks (" phonorecords"),
or both."

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-01-2004, 01:32 PM
J Fortuna

FYI, for those of you who are not reading every single thread in this group,
and who thus might be wondering why Ray is posting on Copyright, copyright
has been the topic of debate in thread "Do people still buy orchids on
eBay?" -- it started out with orchid images on eBay, so while a tangent, it
is not off-topic for this group.

Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
From the US Copyright Office website:

[...]

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-01-2004, 06:18 PM
House of Paisley

Well... since we are talking in technicalities, it started out by
me wondering if people still bought orchids on EBay. Then
morphed into a picture debate.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
FYI, for those of you who are not reading every single thread in this

group,
and who thus might be wondering why Ray is posting on Copyright, copyright
has been the topic of debate in thread "Do people still buy orchids on
eBay?" -- it started out with orchid images on eBay, so while a tangent,

it
is not off-topic for this group.

Joanna

From the US Copyright Office website:

Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Shell

I think if you post pictures online you have to be prepared that people will
download them and in some cases use them. The java script messages that
people put in thier web sites to block right clicking can be got around with
screen capture and by finding the file in the windows temporary internet
file if you know how. Probably the best and only way to keep people from
nabbing your pictures is to use a digital watermark (there are programs
available which do this) But a digital watermark usually prints a large
word across the picture and obscures the subject, I know everyone has seen
pictures with the word "sample" scrawled across it.

As an artist I have concerns about my pictures being used without my
consent. I don't really like digital watermarks because to me it's like
defacing the artwork. I don't post anything that I don't want others to
download and possibly use. Another way of protecting copyright is to keep a
file of the artwork or photograph on cd in the orriginal size of the work
file and in all the parts. I work with Photoshop and my working file can
have hundreds of layers and be 100mb or even larger and 600dpi or more as
well as 60000 x 40000 pixels. The size of the final merged picture can be
almost as large and saved as anything from a pdf to a jpg or tiff file.
Burned onto a cd it's there for archive purposes and in case I want to
change something later. I doubt anyone would post a 100mb picture to their
web site This way if you ever need to you can come back and show you
truly were the artist who created the picture in question and take a
copyright infringer to court if needed.

Shell

From the US Copyright Office website:

Old 12-01-2004, 11:42 PM
J Fortuna

Crystal,
Aren't you amazed by what became of the thread you started? :-)
Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
FYI, for those of you who are not reading every single thread in this

group,
and who thus might be wondering why Ray is posting on Copyright,

copyright
has been the topic of debate in thread "Do people still buy orchids on
eBay?" -- it started out with orchid images on eBay, so while a tangent,

it
is not off-topic for this group.

Joanna

From the US Copyright Office website:

Old 13-01-2004, 02:33 AM
tennis maynard

I have the following notice on my index page ( http://www.orchidcourt.com ):

all contents, pics, etc, © Tennis Maynard

I have had a number of folks ask for permission to use pics for various
projects. I hesitate to grant permission for other ebayers as i feel a
need to verify their honesty, sales integrity, etc, lest in some way I,
through my pics, become linked to something I don't approve of.

That said, I have to feel that linking to a site is like showing someone
a copy of a pic from a book. I might be selling paphs at a local show
and am asked about a particular species, and produce my copy of a paph
book, turned to the appropriate page.

On the other hand, were I to do such a thing (and I haven't yet), I
think I would feel bound to include some notation to the effect that:
pictures of this plant may be seen on so-and-so's website at: (link)

And even then I would feel a little uncertain about it without permission.

As far as unauthorized use of my pics, I would be more bothered by
direct links than by a link such as the one I describe above, including
a notation that I am not connected in any way with the linking site.

I have not yet refused permission to anyonbe except ebayers who has
asked, and have in fact made a point of thanking them for asking
permission.