GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Who We Are (revisited) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/51171-who-we-revisited.html)

J Fortuna 28-01-2004 04:34 AM

Who We Are (revisited)

Hey, I just located this thread from November 2001
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ptusnet.com.au
Kye had this idea of asking rgo'ers to introduce themselves a bit. I think
this might be worthwhile to revisit with current posters (and any lurkers
who wish to participate).

Here are Kye's questions and my answers:

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Joanna, guess

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Alexandria, Virginia (Washington DC area, USA) -- new US Citizen :-)
Windowsills and shelves of one and a half bedroom apartment (northern
exposure with supplemental grow lights)

What do I grow?

11 Phals/Dtps + 1 cochleanthes amazonica

The decade of my age?

30s

How long have I been growing orchids?

It will be 3 years in 2003. Got my first orchid as a wedding gift --
probably would not have gotten as hooked into the hobby if I had not
accidentally decapitated it a couple of weeks later. Remorse was a strong
initial driver. Then a keiki. Then reblooming. And then I became an addict.
I am beginning to feel the craving again ... DC Orchid Fair next weekend,
perfect timing!

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Getting 5 of my orchids to rebloom or initiate spike under my care so
far, and those that I have had long enough, have rebloomed more than once.
:-)

Miscellanious Info...

I am a Web application developer, working as a contractor for the
federal government (they closed 3 hours early today because of snow/ice). I
tend to get really excited by whatever my main passion of the
hour/day/month/year/decade is (orchids, crocheting, reading, Web searching,
etc.).

Claude 28-01-2004 02:44 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

My turn now!

| Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Claude and I`m a man

| Where am I? Where do I grow?

I`m now in Montréal, Canada, where it`s FREEZING COLD NOW !
I grow on wooden shelving unit under fluorescent light.

| What do I grow?

16 Phals/Dtps + 5 Paph and 2 Oncidiums

| The decade of my age?

40`s

How long have I been growing orchids?

I started growing orchid after I rescued a poor dying Phal from one of my
friend. After the kidnapping, I went to my local library and with all the
care I could give it, It bloom within a year. I was addicted!

| My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Getting an orchid from OrchidExpo, the seller told me that it will not bloom
before 2 or 3 years. It`s blooming since last september!

| Miscellanious Info...

I`m a nurse working in a CVT unit, Cardio-Vascular-Thoracic surgery unit.
Very stressing job. I work on 12 hours shift. Orchid is a nice way to cope
with stress. I`m also gay and I live in couple since 14 years.
I`m also french canadian and I do lots of mistake in english!! :-)

Bye Claude

Wendy 28-01-2004 03:12 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Hi Joanna, I am truly impressed with your searching abilities.
I tried to do one on Google but I get nothing?
Kye started this in ABPO & just about everyone in the group replied.
Do you use the 'advanced search' feature?
What do you type in other than the News Group.
--
Cheers Wendy (who is not a puter guru)
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

:
[...]
: :-)
:
: Miscellanious Info...
:

J Fortuna 29-01-2004 05:02 AM

Who We Are (revisited)

Wendy,
Thank you! :-) And in case you would miss it otherwise, I started a new
thread with a huge message (sorry, got a bit too enthusiastic) entitled "rgo
archive search 101" in reply to your post.
Best,
Joanna

J Fortuna 29-01-2004 01:08 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Via,
I am like that too -- that's part of the reason why I do so much searching
in the archives and on the Web, and I will read until the middle of the
night sometimes -- to get these precious glimpses of knowledge :-)
And if that's childish, I hope I will never grow up!
Joanna

"Hillevi P" wrote in message
I love collecting info in books and on the net of a subject I am

interested
in, or don't know anything about. I get a special "happy feeling" when I

get
time to do that. It sounds childish, but that is because it is =).
I love learning!

Kye 29-01-2004 02:12 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Why am I blushing???

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I am Kye and I am Male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I am in Australia and I grow my plant everywhere from my bathroom to my
bedroom to my back verandah + yard and about to build a new bush house too

What do I grow?

Species... More specifically Jewel Orchids, Phals, Pleurothallids, Paphs,
Phrags, assorted aussie natives, terrestrials, vandaceous alliance,
Dendrobes, ... Lets just leave it at species huh... If its there I want it
:-P

The decade of my age?

Exactly mid 20's

How long have I been growing orchids?

A few years now, mabe three maybe four they just kept turning up......

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

( Who thought of these questions... this is a toughie... ) Umm.... Keeping
my Cryptostylis erecta alive and flowering. Especially since this plant
travelled around three states at the beginning of last year with me on
trains, planes and automobiles in a pot, while waiting for me to decide
where I wanted to live.

Miscellanious Info...

I am the editor and web-master for The Australian Paphiopedilum Society and
member of the Executive Committee.

I am hoping to train to become a botanical taxonomist.

Currently I work for Gary Yong Gee maintaining his orchid collection and
bush-house and (try to) run my own IT business

I am not humble but that never stopped me being ignorant.

I am single and the oldies in the group all remember that doosie I am sure
:-P

I created news://alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yeah thats me -)
Kye.
.... I provide bad-pics on application :-D
( Except for me nekkid in the tree with the Dockrillia bowmannii ... old
joke sorry )

J Fortuna 30-01-2004 06:04 AM

Who We Are (revisited)

Wendy the Mysterious,

Do you think that by responding to this thread, and flattering me about my
searching skills, and making claims about "just about everyone" having
responded to this inquiry before in ABPO (which is not archived and thus
cannot be checked), you can escape notice that you did not really introduce
yourself here? grin

Well, your lack of introduction did not escape my notice ... at least not
for long. Did the "just about everyone" in ABPO replies include you, or is
Wendy's orchid background a secret? I looked in the thread that had
originally got my attention, and sure enough your post to this thread is
enigmatic as well
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....occa.home.com
:-)

Even if you have responded to this type of inquiry in the past, maybe
something has changed in the meantime? a new greatest achievement perhaps?

Joanna the Nosy

Bolero 30-01-2004 11:10 AM

Who We Are (revisited)

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Darren, Male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Melbourne, Australia, Outside in a glasshouse.

What do I grow?

About 250 Catt hybrids and the other 60 or so are a variety of genera

The decade of my age?

Late 60s

How long have I been growing orchids?

Just over 3 years now, I am not expert but I know what I'm doing. I am a
student judge with the Australian Orchid Council.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

No major accomplishments but just happy to bloom the little buggers.
:-)

Miscellanious Info...

I am a social worker and work in child support debt enforcement. Born in
Tasmania. Have served in the Air Force and am married to an American Lady
from Wisconsin. Own two cavalier king charles spaniels and love reading and
drinking red wine.

Also keep exotic birds outside in an aviary.

Reka 30-01-2004 01:56 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Reka, female

Where am I?
South Tyrol, Italy. Originally from the most beautiful of the 50 States,
Oregon.

Where do I grow?
On every possible flat surface with good light and some of those which
aren't flat...
Under fluorescent lights also.

What do I grow?

Phals, Cattleya alliance, Dens, Bulbos, Oncidiums, a few Paphs and a
lone rescue-Cym.

The decade of my age?

40s, and still able to blush, so I am still very young at heart. :-)

How long have I been growing orchids?

I got my first orchid about twenty years ago, but only started growing
seriously as a hobby when we moved into a new apartment ten years ago
and that one actually bloomed again. (The old apt. was way too dark!)

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Continually succeeding in convincing my husband that yes, there *is*
still room for the orchid(s) I just bought.

Miscellaneous Info...

I am a serious wine drinker (no, not a serious alcoholic!) and have
taken the first of three exams toward becoming a sommelier. I read
hundreds of books a year and have in the last 9 months become an addicted
skier. I have two lovely children and a wonderful husband (who pretends
to believe there is still room for another orchid 'cause he loves me so
much). And I will be unemployed (ha, when is a housewife *ever*
unemployed??) again in a matter of two weeks. (Yeah, folks, I quit the job
from hell!)

---

Wendy 30-01-2004 04:08 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

For Sherlock! *g*

Who am I and What Is My Gender?
Wendy. (My Mom named me from the book Peter Pan & Wendy.)

Where am I?
Live in S. Calif. half way between LA & San Diego, about 8 miles inland.
Zone 9/10

Where do I grow?
Back yard, covered patio, two small greenhouses, an old boat house &
want to
convert the redwood spa house into a g/h!

What do I grow?
A lot of almost everything!

The decade of my age?
The sixth.

How long have I been growing orchids?
10 years.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?
Bringing them back from the dead & growing back ends.

Miscellanious Info:-
I was born in S.Africa & raised in Rhodesia where
I met my husband. We immigrated to this wonderful country
in 1969.
Needed something to do when I retired, so took up gardening.
In 1994, I had 3 orchids, 2 dens & a phal, now have about 2000 orchid
plants.
Most of them were from various people's collections & back ends from my
mentor.
I went from 3 to 53 in one week! (Cymbidiums that were in dire need of TLC)

I love orchids!
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

molli 30-01-2004 04:31 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Who am I and What Is My Gender?
Molli, and I am female

Where am I?
In Colorado at 5471 ft altitude with lousy humidity.

Where do I grow?
In a small bedroom under 400 watt HPS light, also living room, dining room
and kitchen window sills.

What do I grow?
Catts, paphs, phrags, oncids, masdevallias (I hope), phals gongora and
brassavola. I'm sure there are others but I'm not upstairs to do a head
count.

The decade of my age?
40's and we'll just leave it at that shall we?

How long have I been growing orchids?
It will be 2 yrs in August, when hubby bought me my first two orchids which
I promptly killed! This annoyed me to no end and I got more, kept them
alive..got more....oh you know how it goes....

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?
Reblooming phals, catts, and oncids, and NOT killing my masdies!

Miscellaneous Info...
I have a husband, 3 daughters, 1 1/2 grand daughters (second is due in May)
and a zoo full of kritters which goes along with having kids. When I'm not
fussing over the O'kids, I love to read anything I can get my hands on,
including cereal boxes. Oh yea, in whatever spare time I have left, I make
porcelain dolls.

Hugs,
Molli

TU 31-01-2004 12:32 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

"J Fortuna" wrote in message ...
Hey, I just located this thread from November 2001
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ptusnet.com.au
Kye had this idea of asking rgo'ers to introduce themselves a bit. I think
this might be worthwhile to revisit with current posters (and any lurkers
who wish to participate).

--------------------------

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Tong, Male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Inland Australia, S 36d 08' 11" E 144d 45' 04"
I grow outdoor in Spring through Autumn, and indoor in winter except
those which are cold tolerance.

What do I grow?

Just over 100 plants, mostly species and many are young plants: 1 each
of Dracula, Cattleya, Ascocentrum, Osmoglossum, Maxilaria, Neofinetia,
Miltoniopsis, Rossioglossum, Pleoine, Spathoglottis, 2 each of
Odonglossums, Coelogyne, Zygopetalum, Vanda, Bulbophyllum and
Psychopsis, and many Stanhopea, Aerides, Phal, Paph, Laelia,
Dendrobiums, Rhynchostylis, Cymbidiums, Oncidiums, Brassia, Aus Den,
Sarc, and Dockrillia.

The decade of my age?

4th

How long have I been growing orchids?

Since Oct 2000. Made a mistake by casually visiting the show at the
2000 Aust Orchid Conference. Bought 4 hybrids, Colm, Cym, Beall,
Brassia and pot them in garden mix when I got home but they hung in
there for the next few months until I realised my mistake. For some
reasons they survive and all have now bloomed.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Didn't kill my first orchids.

Miscellanious Info...

Will continue to lurk. I post and read via Google, so don't do it too
often.
Saw and took a few photos of orchids in the wild in Cambodia in 1996.
Hoping to return there to see more orchids. One day, perhaps.

Cheers

Andrew 31-01-2004 02:33 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Andrew and male (last time I checked)

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Melbourne, Australia. In a shadehouse or under a pergola. I have a
Phal and a Paph indoors but generally if it doesn't like Melbourne
winters I won't give it the time of day.

What do I grow?

I'm mostly interested in terrestrials (particularly Australian
terrestrials) and Sarcochilus but I also grow Dendrobiums and
Cymbidiums with a few other cool growing epiphytes scattered around
the place.

The decade of my age?

Late 20's

How long have I been growing orchids?

About 6 years. Started off with Cymbidiums, which is kind of the done
thing in Melbourne. Caught the native terrestrial bug about 3 years
ago and have been mainly focusing on growing them ever since.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Convincing my wife to let me fill up the living room window with
flasks

Miscellanious Info...

Married with 1 dog and a baby on the way. I'm about 1-2 weeks away
from submitting a PhD thesis. I also grow carnivorous plants.

Diana Kulaga 01-02-2004 12:02 AM

Who We Are (revisited)

Okay, one more once......

Who am I and what is my gender?

I'm Diana, and I'm a W*O*M*A*N! I bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan,
and never let you forget...oh, never mind.

Where am I? Where do I grow?

South Flahda. Outside in two lanais and under the live oak. Cold weather
recently required the Vandas to reside in the guest bathroom.

What do I grow?

Catts, Phals, Oncidiums and their offspring, Dendrobiums by the batch, many
odd balls. Some Cyms, Vanilla, Brassavolas, whatever will tolerate our
climate. Always looking for something new.

The decade of my age?

I am of a "certain age"..........Okay, I'm sixty, and feeling thirty.

How long have I been growing orchids?

Just four years. Long enough to have a couple hundred of my beauties! And
long enough to be an engine of the economy: Needed a bigger lanai, needed a
better digital camera, needed a CDRW, needed new benches, needed fans, need
more orchids. New printer, anyone?

Miscellaneous Info...

Working on a novel. Content TBA, but it's about me, though in the book I
will be tall...... Have written training manuals for a variety of
populations. Married to gorgeous Frank, who puts up with me and now is also
addicted. VP of PSLOS. Motivational speaker in my recent, prior life.
Prior member of too many national real estate commissions than I care to
count. Three grown children, six grandkids. One cat, Casper the Friendly
Ghost, white with blue eyes.

Ham extraordinaire.

Reka 01-02-2004 07:14 AM

Who We Are (revisited)

"Diana Kulaga" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ink.net...

Ham extraordinaire.

Gee, we never would have guessed that if you hadn't told us, Diana! ;-)
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Ray 01-02-2004 02:57 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

OK, my turn...

*Ray, male
*Southeastern PA, grow in a greenhouse for my own collection, rented space
for most "First Rays" plants.
*I grow catts, vandaceous plants, phals, paphs, bulbos, oncidiine
intergenerics of all sort, stuff from the
bollea/pescatorea/keferstenia/cochleanthes/huntleya group, oncids,
cymbidiums (mostly Chinese species), oddball species galore.
*I'm about two months' shy of 52, and have been growing orchids for over 30
years.

It's almost like I was destined to grow them: At age 6 I moved to Linwood,
NJ and was about 3 blocks from Waldor. I was aware of the greenhouses, but
didn't know what was in them. At age 10 I moved to England, and was about a
mile from a very large paph range, but saw nothing in them. A few years
later I ended up in NW DC, and the Kensington area was one of my high school
stomping grounds...again close to orchids, but didn't know it. As a junior
at Ga Tech, I started volunteering my free time at the public greenhouses in
Piedmont Park (now the Atlanta Botanical Garden). About a year into that I
started watering the orchid house, and ran into a school buddy, Roger
Huntington. I mentioned that I didn't know he was into orchids, and the
folks around me started laughing. Yep, his dad is Merritt, who owned
Kensington Orchids and was some official in the AOS at that time...

I was given a cattleya for helping out, and it only took me two years to
kill it, using the ancient oriental watering torture - alternating root rot
and desiccation - AND I DON'T KILL PLANTS!!!. (People at school called me
the "plant doctor," as I had a little business resurrecting the houseplants
they were killing. If I was successful, they gave me a few bucks, if not, I
kept the pot.) At that point I got determined to learn how to grow the
so-and-so's, and the rest is history.

I have also learned that I'm very good at killing plants...

Reka 01-02-2004 05:57 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
OK, my turn...

*I'm about two months' shy of 52, and have been growing orchids for over

30
years.

Well, Ray, *shy* is not one of hte words I would use to describe you.
Reading about your moves: this sounds like army brat?

Ray 01-02-2004 09:00 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Federal Government brat...

My current location is actually residence # 18

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Reka" wrote in message

OK, my turn...

J Fortuna 01-02-2004 11:12 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Ray,

I at first thought "residence #18" what's that, is that like the "White
House" or "US Naval Observatory" (the Vice President's mansion). I thought
you were making a reference to a place where you were at the current moment
when sending the email, and that it was some federal government residence
that I ought to recognize by reference.

Then (after a while, thought process not working fast here) it occurred to
me that you probably meant that this is the 18th home that you have called
your permanent residence. Is that it? If so, it's only your 18th, and you
are 52. Hey, that's a stable life you've been living! I had lots of trouble
putting together the list of all the addresses I have lived in for the past
10 years for the US citizenship application, I think I came up with 8, and
if I had to go over my entire life that would be 12 so far, and I am only 30
years old. And I am not an army brat, and not a federal brat, or anything
like that ... come to think of it I don't consider myself a brat at all.
Though I guess most brats do not consider themselves one. ;-)

I am hoping to have more residences in the future, because I want more space
for my orchids, and ideally a greenhouse someday, and it's hard to have that
in an apartment. But I do hope not to have to change residences at quite
such a rate any more. I think it might be traumatic for the orchids to need
to get acclimated to a new space so often. (Though this is true, I am mainly
kidding, as I am not quite such an orchid nut to arrange my life for the
benefit of the orchids alone. I have told my husband though that I do hope
to someday grow roots like a turnip, meaning settle down in one place.)

Joanna

Diana Kulaga 01-02-2004 11:14 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Ham extraordinaire.

Gee, we never would have guessed that if you hadn't told us, Diana! ;-)

Point acknowledged, Reka! I've never been accused of being a shrinking
violet (forgive me for mentioning another type of plant!). So, I'm having a
good time doing Orchid Clinics for our society, which is part of my job
description as VP. I get to jump around and break the attendees into
groups, and generally shake up the prevailing order. Girls just gotta have
fun, after all.

Diana

Eric Hunt 09-02-2004 05:02 PM

Who We Are (revisited)

Kye,

I ran into Gary in Ecuador last week! He was with a group touring the
country and I was with a different group, from the USA, touring the country.

We ran into each other in Gualaceo at the hosteria where we were both
staying, which is right outside of the world-famous Ecuagenera, and then we
ran into each other again the night of the Quito show opening.

Great guy, glad I was finally able to meet him after so many emails.

When I first saw him at the hosteria at dinner one night, I kept saying to
myself "I know that face, I know that face" and it wasn't until breakfast
the next morning when we were introduced that it came clear - I knew his
face from his webpage!

Anyway, small world, I thought.

-Eric in SF

[email protected] 07-12-2004 10:39 AM

http://www.ardice.com/Science/Biolog...ceae/Aerangis/

Reka 18-12-2004 06:21 PM

Well, I am listening to a webcast of the Linfield game (thanks for the
airfare, Al - not!!) ;-), so I am stuck at the computer long enough to
participate in this thread.

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Reka, female

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Northern Italy, but native of the most beautiful State in the US.
Any available space which gets light. :-) More specifically in a
sunroom with about 8 1/2 feet of windowsill and over 65 square feet of
windows facing SSW, plus a cart with 4 24x14" shelves and one each 24"
cool and warm fluorescent on each shelf. The orchids wander out onto
two balconies, N & S in the summer. Somehow, they just don't all fit
back into the sun room again after summer.?!*#

What do I grow?

About 85 total: Phalaenopsis, Oncidium alliance, Cattleya alliance
and a few assorted jokers.

The decade of my age?

Top of the fourth and the bases are loaded!

How long have I been growing orchids?

Well, I got my first one about twenty years ago, but as my
apartment was so dark, I finally got really going on them eleven years
ago when we bought our current sunny apartment.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Killing the most expensive and hard to get orchid I have ever had.
It steels you for many things to come...

Miscellaneous Info...

I find caring for my orchids to be excellent therapy, somewhat like
yoga, only more exciting when you find development where you never
expected it.

samaki 18-12-2004 10:23 PM

Finally I got some time, to post m orchid CV too :))

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Martha, female

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I am from Poland, I grow orchids at home. All the windowsills are

already occupied, I`ve also got a quite big winter garden (a room like a
grenhouse), but for the summer time I put my plants outside in the garden.

What do I grow?

Around 60 plants. Mainly different species, I like to try new things

all the time. I am also very fond of tillandsias.

The decade of my age?

I am in my twenties, still lots of time to learn more about orchids.

How long have I been growing orchids?

I think I`ve been growing for three years

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Being among the "founding fathers (and mothers)" of a Orchid Society

in my town.

Miscellaneous Info...

I`ve just got my MA degree and now I am studying for a Phd. I am

working at the university, teaching swahili language.