Old 31-01-2004, 10:12 PM
J Fortuna

Default First Paph

Well, I went to the DC Orchid Fair today. And it was great. I had lots of
fun admiring all the plants there. I especially liked some intergeneric Onc
hybrids, but was told that they would not do well in my environment, which
is what I suspected.

So I have taken the plunge and acquired my very first lady slipper. It's a
Paph niveum 'Snow Ball' x Paph delenatii 'Angel', and basically it's this
cute little white flower with a small slipper pouch on this long slightly
hairy straight spike -- in addition to that, it caught my attention because
the leaves are variegated so even when not in bloom it will be different
then the rest of my collection thus far.

I am not usually into Paphs but occasionally one will catch my attention,
until today I have been able to resist their allure ... but this one was
just cute, and I could not object when it insisted on coming home with me.

My understanding so far is that a Paph should do well in culture that's like
Phals. I plan to read culture sheets and more info this evening. However, if
any of you have any advice for a Phal person on how Paphs might be different
from Phals, it would be appreciated. Are there any mistakes that someone who
has been growing Phals is likely to make and should avoid with a first Paph?

Thanks,
Joanna