Old 01-02-2004, 12:17 PM
RPM1

Default First Paph for me too! :-D

I just got my first Paph yesterday! It's a Paph. Macabre x
Paph. Ruby Leopard 'Red Flame'

We went to Venamy Orchids yesterday to visit.
http://orchidsusa.com/cultureguide.html
I was there just to look Fantastic place! I walked around
and around and around... Somehow, just somehow, this
precious little Lady Slipper came home with me. Actually,
two did but I gave the other to my DH's SIL as a gift. I've
always been fascinated by the wild Pink Lady's Slipper
which grows in the woods around here (Cypripedium acaule).

This little beauty is allllllmost ready to bloom.

The tag in the pot says:
Repot Spring 04
Paph. orchid (Lady Slipper)
Temperatu day 70-85F, night 55-70F
Shaded south or west WINDOWSILL
Water once a week early in the day
Fertilize 3 weeks out of 4
The owner of the greenhouse said to alternate a 3-12-6
(for blooms) and a 7-9-5 (for growth) every other week
of the month. The last week of the month use plain water.

I purchased "Dyna-Gro" Liquid Bloom and Liquid Grow
so I can do as was recommended. I hope I do right by this
little one.

Ruth CM

Old 02-02-2004, 04:02 AM
J Fortuna

Ruth,
Your and Tom's posts made me wonder since all three of us acquired our first
Paph on the very same day, how likely is that to happen? are several rgo'ers
acquiring their first Paph ever day, and most of the time it just is not
reported? or was there something special about that Saturday that led to a
sudden trend in new Paph acquisitions. Reminded me of the book Bellweather
by Connie Willis, a funny fiction book about how trends get started. :-)
Joanna