GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I want one of these!!! What's its name? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/51694-i-want-one-these-whats-its-name.html)

Pam 04-02-2004 08:34 AM

I want one of these!!! What's its name?

While mucking about the web looking up orchids, I found this site with
these 2 pictures. I want one of the plants. It is the greatest
bumble bee orchid I have seen. Does anyone know its name and where I
can buy it?

http://orchids.imacollector.com/bees.html

molli 04-02-2004 01:33 PM

I want one of these!!! What's its name?

Now that one IS great! I know Andy had a orchid as his orchid of the day a
couple weeks ago that he advertises as 'a bumblebee' but it didn't look like
that one....you might want to drop him a line anyway?

--

Hugs,
Molli

m...

J. Del Col 04-02-2004 05:58 PM

(Pam) wrote in message om...
While mucking about the web looking up orchids, I found this site with
these 2 pictures. I want one of the plants. It is the greatest
bumble bee orchid I have seen. Does anyone know its name and where I
can buy it?

This pictures look a little odd to me--doctored, to be blunt.

OTOH, if they are real, these things are probably European
terrestrials--not easy to find or grow.

J. Del Col

mame 04-02-2004 06:12 PM

I want one of these!!! What's its name?

Thanks to Google, I found this site with a good picture. =
http://www.dow.cam.ac.uk/Crete/MegaliHorafia.html
Scroll down to see the picture.

Here is some more info on the ophrys
http://www.anos.org.au/groups/newzea...ish/ophrys.htm

Anne

"J. Del Col" wrote in message =
m...
| (Pam) wrote in message =
om...
| While mucking about the web looking up orchids, I found this site =
with
| these 2 pictures. I want one of the plants. It is the greatest
| bumble bee orchid I have seen. Does anyone know its name and where I
| can buy it?

|=20

Bernd Haynold 04-02-2004 06:56 PM

Pam wrote:

While mucking about the web looking up orchids, I found this site with
these 2 pictures. I want one of the plants. It is the greatest
bumble bee orchid I have seen. Does anyone know its name and where I
can buy it?

http://orchids.imacollector.com/bees.html

Sorry to disappoint you, but the orchid in this picture is a fake.
It is supposed to be an Ophrys species, but none of them looks like
that.
Ophrys are terrestrials, hard to get outside of europe and difficult
to cultivate, especially for those who have no experience with
terrestrial orchids.

Bernd

Illume 10-02-2004 02:35 AM

I want one of these!!! What's its name?