Old 13-02-2004, 12:44 AM
John Mallery

Default Cattleya question

I have a plant that is labeled Ewrica alba - Does anyone have any idea what
this is? Could it be Cattleya Erica var alba. PLEASE DO NOT DO A GOOGLE
SEARCH ON EWRICA - you will find nothing but "adult" websites.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
John Mallery
Husband, Father, Juggler, Comedian and Gardener

Old 13-02-2004, 03:20 AM
Ray

Eurica???

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 13-02-2004, 03:33 AM
Ray

Eurica???

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 13-02-2004, 02:05 PM
John Mallery

I suppose it could be Eurica - is this a genus? A species? A grex? I can't
find any information - any thoughts. I'll post a picutre on ABPO as soon as
it blooms.

The plant comes from the College of the Ozarks in Branson, MO - they have a
large orchid collection and they sell divisions Jan - March (probably other
times as well). Students do the repotting and labelling, apparently not
always clearly...

John

"Ray" wrote in message
Eurica???

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 13-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Ted Byers

"John Mallery" wrote in message
I suppose it could be Eurica - is this a genus? A species? A grex? I can't
find any information - any thoughts. I'll post a picutre on ABPO as soon

as
it blooms.

The plant comes from the College of the Ozarks in Branson, MO - they have

large orchid collection and they sell divisions Jan - March (probably

other
times as well). Students do the repotting and labelling, apparently not
always clearly...

Have you tried to contact the college to see if they can provide you with
information? I would expect that they'd at least be able to clarify what
the tag says from an image of the tag and a photo of the plant as it is
right now. After all, they really ought to know what they're selling; but
that assumes their horticulturalist and botany department staff are
competent. I am not surprised when Home Depot staff don't know the plants
they're selling, but I'd expect college or university staff would be able to
give you all the information about taxonomy and natural history available
for a given species or hybrid from the existing scientific literature. That
may seem harsh, but as a scientist I expect academic institutions and staff
to adhere to a much higher standard than other organizations and their
staff. This derived from a combination of professionalism and the respect I
have for those scientists I personally know. If you haven't done so, I'd
encourage you to send them email with a digital photo of the tag and another
of the plant as it is right now.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 14-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Ray

I must have been drinking too much that night... I meant to suggest Lc
Eureka

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"John Mallery" wrote in message
I suppose it could be Eurica - is this a genus? A species? A grex? I can't
find any information - any thoughts. I'll post a picutre on ABPO as soon

as
it blooms.

The plant comes from the College of the Ozarks in Branson, MO - they have

large orchid collection and they sell divisions Jan - March (probably

other
times as well). Students do the repotting and labelling, apparently not
always clearly...

John

"Ray" wrote in message
Eurica???

. . . . . . . . . . .
"John Mallery" wrote in message
I have a plant that is labeled Ewrica alba - Does anyone have any idea

what
this is? Could it be Cattleya Erica var alba. PLEASE DO NOT DO A

GOOGLE
SEARCH ON EWRICA - you will find nothing but "adult" websites.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
John Mallery
Husband, Father, Juggler, Comedian and Gardener
www.tallbaldandcrazy.com

Cattleya loddigesii - lovely silky-smooth purple bifoliate cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 05-01-2007 02:04 AM
Cattleya jenmanii - classic large-flowered Cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 07:55 PM
Cattleya and Dendrobium Question Brian Corll Orchids 5 18-12-2004 08:05 PM
Cattleya question? Ben Lurkin Orchids 10 06-02-2004 06:30 AM
Cattleya blooming question Sarah Huff Orchids 5 16-10-2003 03:12 PM