Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Steve & Erin

Default brassia

I can't find any info on pruning brassia's. All the flowers have faded-
should I prune back to the highest node, or the lowest, or in between?

TIA
Erin

Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Ray

Brassias only bloom once per inflorescence and growth. Cut the fading spike
as close to the plant as you can.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
news8O1c.43813$PR3.858761@attbi_s03...

Old 05-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Ray

The inflorescence is the flower-bearing structure. We often refer to the
generically as a "spike," but that is not truly correct. In brassias, for
example, it's really a raceme, while it's a panicle on an oncidium...
"Spike" is just easier. Check he
http://www.firstrays.com/inflorescences.htm

In the case of a brassia, each spike grows, forms buds and blooms, but does
so only once. When the flowers have faded, it will not bloom again, so you
may safely remove it. Likewise, once a pseudobulb - a "growth" - has put up
an inflorescence, it will not do so again, but will live on, providing
photosynthesis and food generation and storage for the rest of the "colony,"
those growths connected via the rhizome. As a plant grows new pseudobulbs,
they will bloom in turn.

In a very strong, healthy plant, each growth may put up two spikes at once,
but one is the norm.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Steve & Erin" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. What does it mean: "once per inflorescence and
growth"?

Erin

"Ray" wrote in message
Brassias only bloom once per inflorescence and growth. Cut the fading

spike
as close to the plant as you can.

brassia Steve & Erin Orchids 2 05-03-2004 12:49 AM
Brassia observation Robert Dickow Orchids 0 07-09-2003 04:45 AM
Brassia question Alison Orchids 1 06-08-2003 04:12 AM
Brassia Paulo Orchids 2 07-05-2003 02:20 AM
Largest Brassia species? Pete Orchids 7 21-03-2003 06:20 PM