Old 10-03-2004, 02:40 AM
J Fortuna

Default Phal. Hilo Lip

I have a question about Phal Hilo Lip.

Brief background to this inquiry: In abpo several of us commented that we
would like to have a Phal Hilo Lip in response to a gorgeous photo of one,
and then Mariana posted a couple of links to vendors who sell Phal Hilo Lip.

One of these links was http://www.lenetteorchids.com/phal_seedlings.htm ,
and when I followed this link I found the following information: "Phal. Hilo
Lip (Hilo Beauty x Elaine Mishima) [snip] Be sure to remember when growing
Hilo Lips that you keep them on the drier side and that you spray often with
fungicide and most importantly a bactericide. This is a must for Hilo lips."

Yikes! Is this true? Is there something about Hilo Lips that makes them more
susceptible to bacteria or fungi than other Phals? Why would that be?

If this is true I will alas probably take Phal Hilo Lip off my wish list,
since then it sounds like it may not be worth the trouble. One of the things
I like about Phals is that they are fairly low maintenance. Is this one a
high maintenance exception? Are there any other Phal hybrids or species that
one should avoid unless one is willing to give them special treatment unlike
that of other Phals?

Thanks,
Joanna

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message