Old 17-03-2004, 01:22 PM
TRAINMAN9

Default Stanhopea

I've got a few immature stanhopeas. It seems one of them gets burned very
easily. I put it in the shadiest part of the greenhouse and the leaves still
seem to get damaged. Two others don't seem to have the same problem. Any ideas?
Is the light too strong?
Old 17-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Eric Hunt

Hi,

Increase air circulation - that will cool the leaves off and reduce the
burning.

-Eric in SF

Old 18-03-2004, 04:36 AM
NOOK

I have hundreds of Stans (all but 5 I have raised from flasks)
It could be to much light or heat. It could just be that plant.
When I deflask I raise each bulb seperately until they get about 6
months old then I start to combine some bulbs with others. this way I
can make a giant with the best bulbs or mix them up with larger and
smaller sets. (yeh it's a little anal but it gives me quite time)
Any way the point I was getting to is that all bulbs tend to do their
own thing. I have three basket of the same flask in a line and one of
them allways has brown crispy tips. They are in a totally controlled
enviroment with the same lummes of light on each basket, and the same
air flow.
When you say immature, how immature? Once they get over a yr old they
can take almost Catt. light without burning.
Are you spraying them with fert? Neem oil? Physon? or other
substances? I spray all my plants every two weeks with Neem and some
of the leaves bleach out very easly while others that got the same
soaking don't show any discoloration at all.
What media are they in? I have planted them in all types of mix. Moss
works fine in baskets and for mounting, but I have had plants start to
look really bad with curled leaves and spoting and have repotted them
asap and they come back to life. Evan if that moss was part of the
same batch that others were planted in.
How moist is the media? young ones like it pretty moist with good
drainage and high humidity but lots of airflow.
Basically if the plant is immature but still growing good roots and
new shoots it will probablly overcome it's problems in the long run.

lucktoya
NOOK

Old 18-03-2004, 02:07 PM
TRAINMAN9

When you say immature, how immature? Once they get over a yr old they
can take almost Catt. light without burning.

They are over a year old. Two are in three inch pots and one is in a four inch
basket. I grow in a bark mixture.

Are you spraying them with fert? Neem oil? Physon? or other
substances? I spray all my plants every two weeks with Neem and some
of the leaves bleach out very easly while others that got the same

No.

Stanhopea grandiflora V_coerulea Orchid Photos 2 07-04-2007 01:57 AM
Stanhopea whittenii John Varigos Orchid Photos 0 04-01-2007 09:02 AM
Stanhopea tricornis John Varigos Orchid Photos 0 04-01-2007 09:02 AM
Stanhopea baskets. jadel Orchids 8 05-02-2005 04:33 PM
I finally see a growth on my stanhopea Diane Mancino Orchids 0 13-08-2003 04:15 AM