GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   orchids from oversea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/56097-orchids-oversea.html)

tonette 19-03-2004 07:12 PM

orchids from oversea

I want to order some orchids from VietNam and/or Thailand. I understand
the vendors will issus Cites to import their orchids to US. My question
is do I need any other papers here in the US to import plants from
oversea, I am just a hobby grower. Any info's is greatly appreciated.

Tonnete

doug houseman 19-03-2004 08:03 PM

orchids from oversea

You need a USDA permit and to send copies of the labels to them.

the link is:

http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...45e852568a9002
7bcad/b1155f1e8510bc5285256b88006ecbeb?OpenDocument

-or-

http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...45e852568a9002
7bcad/3c3da8b95bf17a2485256b88006ecbed?OpenDocument

depending on what and how you are doing the importing.

I have never had a problem, so long as I have followed the rules. Mostly
I hand carry mine, but I have had a couple of boxes come in from China
resently.

Make sure you have Photosanitary paperwork and read all the rules that
come with the permit. I normally give copies to the people that I work
with.

cheers

Doug

tonette 20-03-2004 03:48 AM

orchids from oversea

Hi Doug

Thank you for replying. There are 3 questions though

1- None of the links works

2- Photosanitary paperwork, you mean I get this from the vendor before
they send me the orchids?

3- Does the package get inspected and fumigated by the USDA before it
reaches me ?

Have a nice weekend

J Fortuna 20-03-2004 04:43 AM

orchids from oversea

Tonette,

The links that Doug gave you did not work because whenever a URL is too long
the link for it is not correctly created, try the following substitutes for
the same links that Doug provided:

http://tinyurl.com/gk03 (instead of
URL:http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...b?OpenDocument )

and

http://tinyurl.com/ys467 (instead of URL:
http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...d?OpenDocument )

tinyurl.com is really worthwhile for links such as these, though it is
always important to provide the actual/real link as well just in case.

Best,
Joanna

doug houseman 20-03-2004 02:41 PM

orchids from oversea

In article ,
tonette wrote:

Hi Doug

Thank you for replying. There are 3 questions though

1- None of the links works

Thanks to Joanna for the tiny URLs

2- Photosanitary paperwork, you mean I get this from the vendor before
they send me the orchids?

It needs to be in each box that is sent and normally I copies attached
in a clear envelope on the out side as well - the sender has to have it
created and send it along.

3- Does the package get inspected and fumigated by the USDA before it
reaches me ?

Inspected yes - if all the paper work is right and the sending location
right - there is no fumigation. If the paperwork is wrong - they may
just destroy the box at the USDA inspection station.

I normally have the paperwork faxed to me in advance to double check
that everything is right.

Doug

Have a nice weekend

theoneflasehaddock 21-03-2004 11:29 PM

orchids from oversea

Subject: orchids from oversea
From: tonette
Date: 3/19/2004 2:11 PM Eastern Standard Time
I want to order some orchids from VietNam and/or Thailand. I understand
the vendors will issus Cites to import their orchids to US. My question
is do I need any other papers here in the US to import plants from
oversea, I am just a hobby grower. Any info's is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you need an import permit (I can't help you through the process, I've
never done it, sorry). You have to check with the grower, and make sure they
will issue CITES permits, and phytosanitary permits as well. You should also
make sure you check ahead of time what the price for them to provide those
permits will be... And make sure it is a reputable place, you can get pretty
nasty fines if they screw up the permits for CITES protected plants, as well as
getting the plants destroyed by customs.

-

theoneflasehaddock

theoneflasehaddock 21-03-2004 11:29 PM

orchids from oversea