Old 19-03-2004, 07:12 PM
tonette

Default orchids from oversea

I want to order some orchids from VietNam and/or Thailand. I understand
the vendors will issus Cites to import their orchids to US. My question
is do I need any other papers here in the US to import plants from
oversea, I am just a hobby grower. Any info's is greatly appreciated.

Tonnete

Old 19-03-2004, 08:03 PM
doug houseman

You need a USDA permit and to send copies of the labels to them.

the link is:

http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...45e852568a9002
7bcad/b1155f1e8510bc5285256b88006ecbeb?OpenDocument

-or-

http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...45e852568a9002
7bcad/3c3da8b95bf17a2485256b88006ecbed?OpenDocument

depending on what and how you are doing the importing.

I have never had a problem, so long as I have followed the rules. Mostly
I hand carry mine, but I have had a couple of boxes come in from China
resently.

Make sure you have Photosanitary paperwork and read all the rules that
come with the permit. I normally give copies to the people that I work
with.

cheers

Doug

Old 20-03-2004, 03:48 AM
tonette

Hi Doug

Thank you for replying. There are 3 questions though

1- None of the links works

2- Photosanitary paperwork, you mean I get this from the vendor before
they send me the orchids?

3- Does the package get inspected and fumigated by the USDA before it
reaches me ?

Have a nice weekend

Old 20-03-2004, 04:43 AM
J Fortuna

Tonette,

The links that Doug gave you did not work because whenever a URL is too long
the link for it is not correctly created, try the following substitutes for
the same links that Doug provided:

http://tinyurl.com/gk03 (instead of
URL:http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...b?OpenDocument )

and

http://tinyurl.com/ys467 (instead of URL:
http://199.132.50.50/Oxygen_FOD/FB_M...d?OpenDocument )

tinyurl.com is really worthwhile for links such as these, though it is
always important to provide the actual/real link as well just in case.

Best,
Joanna

Old 20-03-2004, 02:41 PM
doug houseman

In article ,
tonette wrote:

Hi Doug

Thank you for replying. There are 3 questions though

1- None of the links works

Thanks to Joanna for the tiny URLs

2- Photosanitary paperwork, you mean I get this from the vendor before
they send me the orchids?

It needs to be in each box that is sent and normally I copies attached
in a clear envelope on the out side as well - the sender has to have it
created and send it along.

3- Does the package get inspected and fumigated by the USDA before it
reaches me ?

Inspected yes - if all the paper work is right and the sending location
right - there is no fumigation. If the paperwork is wrong - they may
just destroy the box at the USDA inspection station.

I normally have the paperwork faxed to me in advance to double check
that everything is right.

Doug

Have a nice weekend

Old 20-03-2004, 02:48 PM
doug houseman

tonette wrote:

I want to order some orchids from VietNam and/or Thailand. I understand
the vendors will issus Cites to import their orchids to US. My question
is do I need any other papers here in the US to import plants from
oversea, I am just a hobby grower. Any info's is greatly appreciated.

Tonnete

Orchids - Orchids!idx001.jpg (1/1) Internetado[_2_] Orchid Photos 0 06-11-2011 11:22 PM
Orchids - The fabulous world of Orchids report Kelly Orchids 2 31-08-2004 03:02 PM
growing orchids outside = burned orchids? Lil Orchids 5 18-07-2003 04:52 PM
super tough orchids profpam Orchids 3 28-01-2003 01:44 AM
Preserving and drying orchids. Howard Orchids 0 28-01-2003 12:54 AM