Old 23-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Claude

Default Insect!

Hello everyone!

i just found on one of my Phal some mealy bugs. That looks like cotton-wool
like substance on the flower spike and under some leaves.

According to theGuide to growing Orcjids by Wilma and Brian Rittershausen, I
should use denatures alcohol to get rid of the bugs.

Can I use rubbing alcohol, isopropylic alcohol 70% ?

Thanks

Claude

Old 23-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Ian_UK

Could it be boisduval scale in its immature form? They look like patches of
white fluff. Do you have any signs of the adult (1/8" small brown, shiny non
moving domes on leaves or stems?) If so.... you have got trouble!

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG136/scale1.html

The link above gives some information.

Ian_UK

Old 23-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Claude

No! I didn`t find anything like that! Just 1 or 2 white cotton patch, very
small.

Claude

Old 23-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Bob Walsh

Claude,

The alcohol you ask about is fine. I add some dish detergent to it to cut
through the wax coating on the bugs. A few drops (5 to 10) per ounce is
probably enough.

Bob

.. .

Old 23-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Bob Walsh

Claude,

The alcohol you ask about is fine. I add some dish detergent to it to cut
through the wax coating on the bugs. A few drops (5 to 10) per ounce is
probably enough.

Bob

.. .

Old 24-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Bob Walsh

Claude,

The alcohol you ask about is fine. I add some dish detergent to it to cut
through the wax coating on the bugs. A few drops (5 to 10) per ounce is
probably enough.

Bob

.. .

Old 24-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Bob Walsh

Claude,

The alcohol you ask about is fine. I add some dish detergent to it to cut
through the wax coating on the bugs. A few drops (5 to 10) per ounce is
probably enough.

Bob

.. .

Old 24-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Bob Walsh

Claude,

The alcohol you ask about is fine. I add some dish detergent to it to cut
through the wax coating on the bugs. A few drops (5 to 10) per ounce is
probably enough.

Bob

.. .

Old 24-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Diana Kulaga

Claude,

Ditto Bob's advice, but I will add this: Repot, and spray the entire plant
with alcohol (soap added) before putting into the new medium. It's a good
bet that you'll find the mealies in the pot as well, and even if you can't
see any there are probably immature beasts in there. Sterilize the pot
before using again, and treat the plant again in 5-7 days, just to make sure
you get the leftovers. Keep a close eye on nearby plants.

Diana

Old 24-03-2004, 01:09 AM
PhalGuy

Thank you all!

I repot the plant, spray it completely with alcohol and soap, soak the Prime
agra in water with javex and soap, désinfect the pot with javex, soap and I
sprayed it.
After 15 minutes, I rinsed everything well under tap water and repot the
plant. I also desinfect the label tag and the bamboo stick holding the
flower stem.

there were some old roots that I cut and spray as well.

Thanks

Claude

link.net...

Old 24-03-2004, 01:35 AM
PhalGuy

Old 24-03-2004, 02:34 AM
PhalGuy

Thank you all!

I repot the plant, spray it completely with alcohol and soap, soak the Prime
agra in water with javex and soap, désinfect the pot with javex, soap and I
sprayed it.
After 15 minutes, I rinsed everything well under tap water and repot the
plant. I also desinfect the label tag and the bamboo stick holding the
flower stem.

there were some old roots that I cut and spray as well.

Thanks

Claude

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
link.net...
| Claude,
|
| Ditto Bob's advice, but I will add this: Repot, and spray the entire
plant
| with alcohol (soap added) before putting into the new medium. It's a good
| bet that you'll find the mealies in the pot as well, and even if you can't
| see any there are probably immature beasts in there. Sterilize the pot
| before using again, and treat the plant again in 5-7 days, just to make
sure
| you get the leftovers. Keep a close eye on nearby plants.
|
| Diana

What Insect infestation do I have Hamish United Kingdom 0 23-03-2003 01:32 PM
Hot Sauce Insect Repellent? [email protected] Edible Gardening 3 09-03-2003 10:08 AM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 0 06-02-2003 12:47 AM
[IBC] Insect populations 2002 Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 31-01-2003 09:14 PM
Insect populations 2002 Alan Dunbrook Bonsai 0 31-01-2003 07:05 PM