Old 02-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Dustin

Default Phal. borneensis (or cornu-cervi) (image links)

I purchased this plant as Phalaenopsis borneensis, but now that it has bloomed I think its cornu-cervi.

Here are links to 4 new pictures I took tonight of the second flower it has produced.

http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1073.jpg
http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1079.jpg
http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1076.jpg
http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1081.jpg

Enjoy,
Dustin
Old 02-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Ray

Based upon "The Genus Phalaenopsis" by Sweet, I'd say you are correct.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 02-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Dustin

I have been looking for a copy of that book for a while now. I based my
identification on Christenson's description. The lip is too narrow to
be anything but cornu-cervi.

Dustin

Old 06-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Al

if you manage to get either borneënsis or pantheriana you will be lucky. If
you find a decptirx, which isn't in 'the book', Christenson himself told me
it is "probably a cornu-cervi", but that was only after a cornu-cursory
glance.

If I didn't see it in flower with a ruler and hand loop handy, I wouldn't
pay a lot more for one of these than I would pay for *another* cornu-cervi.

All of the species in this little group are so very variable. How wide is
the lip of the beautiful flower in this picture? A borneënsis ain't nothing
but a cornu-cervi that was born on Borneo. There is only a .3 cm difference
in the width of the midlobe with cornu-cervi being .09 cm and borneënsis
being 1.2 cm wide. Perhaps with a lot of fertilizer and good care...and
luck, maybe one year your plant's lip will bloom larger than it did this
year and change it's species affiliation. :-)

Whatever it is, species from this group get better with age. Those flower
spikes grow longer and longer for years and eventually start making kiekies
that will also flower. Don't cut off old spikes or kiekies and in 10 years
this plant in flower will make people stop and pick up their jaws.

Al
Trivia alensis: If the back end ends in "ensis" the front end tells you
where it comes from.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Dustin

I have Phal. deceptrix which hasnt bloomed yet. I bought it knowing it
was cornu-cervi but didnt really care. I really like this group of
phals.

I havent measured this flower, but the last one it produced was 8mm
wide. I was told this plant was wild collected in Borneo, I dont know
if that is true or not.

Dustin

Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Dustin

Ray wrote:

Based upon "The Genus Phalaenopsis" by Sweet, I'd say you are correct.

Phalaenopsis borneensis P Max Orchid Photos 0 02-05-2007 10:59 PM
Phal. sumatrana (picture links) Dustin Orchids 12 06-04-2004 09:17 PM
phal cornu-cervi (Don't cut the spikes!) Ray Lloyd Orchids 1 01-10-2003 06:22 AM
phal cornu-cervi keith Orchids 12 28-09-2003 05:42 PM
Gestation for Phal cornu-cervi and bastianii Gene Schurg Orchids 0 04-09-2003 07:02 PM